Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being that I'm a DefenderSource FNG, I don't have much to contribute from a technical or learned perspective(yet). Selfishly, I also need more post-fodder for increased visibility on the site, so I thought I would share with the Defender community the unique perspective that I can offer: Where to eat in Hawaii, more specifically on the island of Oahu.

Notable Spots

La Mariana Sailing Club - the oldest tiki bar in Hawaii. Waterfront piece of history hidden away in an industrial district. There is no shame in ordering a *very* stiff drink with a parasol in it. Known for their Mai Tais, but I recommend the Zombie (Mai Tai + 151 on top)

Uncle's Fish Market & Grill - Located in the harbor on Pier 38. Menu varies based on that day's catch. Share the Ahi Poke Trio with friends as a starter.

Side Street Inn - There are two locations. I would recommend the one off Kapahulu Ave as it's bigger and easier to get seating. Popularized by the late Anthony Bourdain, the original restaurant had such over-night popularity they opened a second location. *Warning* food is served family style. The fried pork chops and/or garlic spicy fried chicken are my favorites.

Cool Bars
Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai bar
Rumfire - Sheraton Hotel
Uncle Bo's

Local Breweries
Aloha Brewing - great space, and a speak-easy upstairs
Waikiki Brewing - great outdoor drinking venue

Breakfast / Lunch

Leonard's Bakery - Malasadas. Hawaii/Portuguese donuts. Dredged in sugar, cinnamon-sugar, or li hing mui-sugar. Pairs great with kona/ka'u coffee

Sweet E's - standard breakfast fare. The kalua pork eggs Benedict are great

Pig and the Lady - Viet fusion food. Only available at lunch, the "pho" French dip is a must have. Slow roasted brisket bahn mi sandwich that can be dipped into a small bowl of pho. Pay the extra $3 for the house made noodles to be added to the pho broth.

shoots!
p3w_p3w_7_six_2

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey man,
I'm from Hawaii too. I tripped out when I saw "Hawaii Grindz" on recent discussions! Pretty sure that's the first time those two words ever appeared next to each other in the history of this website hahaha.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Pass me a spam musubi please :)
Trying to get out there in April but it's a long trip from the east coast for only a week long vacation.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
There a few of us here on Oahu if you ever want to get together. I wrench often when I’m in port. Mostly it’s been on my ~10 year old European cars that I can’t seem to keep on the road. The 28 year old Land Rover has been our most reliable car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts