Defender Source Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Land Rover Defender 90
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Those are the tops that I have. Also bought their doors as it was hard to find good replacements for a 110. Especially the 2nd row doors for me. SS studs are not an option on them as the studs are welded into the frame.
Thanks for the input and good to hear your liking them. BTW I'm from West Chester, go flyers dude!

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
If you get the s&p doors with the galvanized skin I'd say that they're probably better than stock they're much more substantial.
Unfortunately they do not do the half doors with galv skins. They are galv frames with aluminum skins.

Reactions: cadillac95

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Half doors are great usually.

Pros: Awesome for around town driving or trail riding. Makes the vehicle feel more wide open and fun. Great visibility and reduces claustrophobia.

Cons: You always wait to the last minute to bolt the door tops on when its about to rain. "Quick release" nuts are marginal at best. Still have to tighten them down to prevent the door tops from flopping around. Also on the highway, whenever a big rig passes you, you get blasted by wind. Ok if it happens once or twice but after an hour its annoying. Lastly, obviously, security. Not all of us live in Mayberry.

If the car is always garaged and you don't worry about crappy people, and not worry about rain/wind, then yeah go for it. Here its been raining almost every evening. So its easy for me to slide the windows closed and close the vents.

·
Premium Member
13,686 Posts
Have half doors on our trail truck. A small group of us was out @ the Mid Atlantic Rally site in the Va mountains this weekend and some one took a couple pictures

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Have half doors on our trail truck. A small group of us was out @ the Mid Atlantic Rally site in the Va mountains this weekend and some one took a couple pictures
Love the truck by the way, and yeah so far as looks go, I think they just look better.

·
Premium Member
13,686 Posts
Love the truck by the way, and yeah so far as looks go, I think they just look better.
Thanks. It's our trail rig. Lots of trick parts underneath to include a crawler box, ARB lockers, Great Basin Rovers built diffs with 4:10 gears, pretty much hd everything, but usually trailered to and from venues. Doesn't get used much, especially in the year of Covid. This was only the 3rd weekend in 2020.
Friday as we went to leave the MAF failed and truck woud barely run. Once we got it back to the shop and figured that out and fixed it we decided to look into the suspension sag on drivers front and three coils were broken out of the uber long Safari Gard spring. So we also swapped out the front springs for Old Man Emu 764's before hitting the road. Perfect example of the mechanics own car has to break in order to get some attention. Once we showed her some love she reciprocated all weekend.

If you make the switch to half doors RN has some cool padded armrests that fasten through the two door top post holes for when the tops are off. Havent seen them advertised but ask Zack.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Half doors are for sure the way to go(for the look)
These are the armrests that Doug referred to. They install in the holes that the door top studs would use.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Half doors are for sure the way to go(for the look)
These are the armrests that Doug referred to. They install in the holes that the door top studs would use.
Nice thanks for sharing Zack, sounds like a good thing to have for sure if you get the half doors

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
If you get half doors I suggest to only get the genuine ones from LR. I bought a set from S&P and I was not impressed with the quality. So I bought a new set from LR. They come with a black e-coat from LR instead of a cheap grey primer. The ones for a 95/97 NAS 90 come provisioned for the channel check straps instead of the basic check strap rod.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you get half doors I suggest to only get the genuine ones from LR. I bought a set from S&P and I was not impressed with the quality. So I bought a new set from LR. They come with a black e-coat from LR instead of a cheap grey primer. The ones for a 95/97 NAS 90 come provisioned for the channel check straps instead of the basic check strap rod.
Thanks, just curious, where did you end up getting LR genuine ones from?

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
The SP-4x4 doors are not primed. They are hot dip galvanized. This is much better than genuine doors with painted frames. They offer them with the three different check styles that have been used.

Reactions: cadillac95

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The SP-4x4 doors are not primed. They are hot dip galvanized. This is much better than genuine doors with painted frames. They offer them with the three different check styles that have been used.
Not the ones I received. They were not galvanized. Only grey primer. This was a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
Not the ones I received. They were not galvanized. Only grey primer. This was a few years ago.
Things have changed. Your information is out of date.

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
The half doors they sold a few years ago where the Britpart ones. They were cheap.

They are now getting doors built locally. It is completely different. Complaining and providing advice on something that is no longer sold is misleading to someone looking to buy them today.

·
Premium Member
1997 D90 VNTdi
924 Posts
Sorry for the OT;
what's the front setup?

:geek:

we decided to look into the suspension sag on drivers front and three coils were broken out of the uber long Safari Gard spring. So we also swapped out the front springs for Old Man Emu 764's before hitting the road.

·
Premium Member
13,686 Posts
Sorry for the OT;
what's the front setup?

:geek:
Stock axle tube. Great Basin cv’s and shafts, Arb & 4:10 ring and pinion. Safari Gard front radius arms, Long travel Bilstein eye to eye 7100’s. Was running the Safari Gard 3 inch progressive front springs but broke one so OME 764’s up front. The Emu’s are stiffer but that improves on road handling.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The half doors they sold a few years ago where the Britpart ones. They were cheap.

They are now getting doors built locally. It is completely different. Complaining and providing advice on something that is no longer sold is misleading to someone looking to buy them today.
They advertised them as their own product and I believe they were. There was no indication that they were supplied by Britpart. AFAIK Britpart doesn't make parts. They are a distributor. I'm not complaining. I was sharing my experience with S&P. I'm glad you had a better experience with them. I would still rather buy doors from LR today.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts