Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Land Rover Defender 90
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 D90 ROW, and I am getting a setup together for a bikini top. I live near the beach so plan on using that for the summer months, hard top back on in the winter. I have been toying with the idea of getting a Pair of half doors, because I like the idea of being able to remove the whole window frame. Curious peoples experiences changing over to half doors, what do they think of them, is it worth it or does it really not make much of a difference? Just any preferences or experiences you want to share! Thanks’

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
I love mine, would never go full doors.

Good stuff: way more air when removed , cheaper, less rattles when in good condition

Bad: tend to leak more, more complex "lines", low quality aftermarket , pretty much requires ss studs if you live where it rains.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love mine, would never go full doors.

Good stuff: way more air when removed , cheaper, less rattles when in good condition

Bad: tend to leak more, more complex "lines", low quality aftermarket , pretty much requires ss studs if you live where it rains.
Thanks! So where did you end up getting yours, saw someone sell a complete aftermarket set for what I think is pretty reasonable price on ebay.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
They came on my truck, original parts . S&p sells them . They are soso, you get what you pay for .

·
Registered
643 Posts
There's also the added benefit of more elbow room with 1/2 doors...

I'm 'outing' myself, but my brother and I share a 4-door Wrangler that we ordered at the very tail-end of the JK line in 2017... got half-doors all around and they're the bee's knees. All it takes to remove a door top is pull up and off. No nuts; no metal-on-metal to corrode. Then again, it's a Jeep... so there's that demerit.

·
Premium Member
10,018 Posts
Chicken wings.

·
Super Moderator
12,723 Posts
It is actual SP-4x4 (not S&P) which probably does not help the search.... Get their galvanized frame doors.

Reactions: Jbullis

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
12,723 Posts
I’ve not used these personally. I have stock half doors. These are you best option. The door bottoms should be better than stock. The tops are possibly not as nice but genuine ones are hard to get ahold of.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve not used these personally. I have stock half doors. These are you best option. The door bottoms should be better than stock. The tops are possibly not as nice but genuine ones are hard to get ahold of.
Thanks much appreciated for the info!

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
The stock Land Rover doors are definitely better quality than the standard S&p doors.

If you get the s&p doors with the galvanized skin I'd say that they're probably better than stock they're much more substantial.

I have the lightweight aluminum skin s&p doors on my truck now for a couple years. They replaced a set of rebuilt stock doors. Two locals here got a set of galvanized steel skin S&P doors and the standard roll ups . They are all nice .

While you're in there you're probably going to want to do the j-nuts and the hinges if they are trashed .

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Am waiting for SP to get some S2 tops in so I can make some with vinyl windows like those that were made by Exmoor Trim.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I love half doors. My 110 will have them. Also live near the beach and it is a convertible so it made the most sense to me. And for whatever reason I really like the pull up handles.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thx! You’ve been happy with these?
Those are the tops that I have. Also bought their doors as it was hard to find good replacements for a 110. Especially the 2nd row doors for me. SS studs are not an option on them as the studs are welded into the frame.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts