Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have a gun-safe that you're particularly happy with? I'm just looking for something small with room for two handguns, magazines and ammo. I'm not looking for a huge prepper doomsday vault. Do the ones that open with finger scans work well?

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
What are your goals, Carl? Are you just trying to keep the guns from curious little hands? Is theft a concern? What about fire protection?

I own a Fort Knox vault. A small sized one of their higher end models. I bought it for my rifles but ended up using it for lots of things. We put valuables in it when we're out of town. We keep passports and birth certificates and there year-round to keep them from getting lost. We put family stuff like Super-8 and VHS tapes from my childhood and my wife's family photos in there to keep them safe from fire. It turns out that we needed more space than I anticipated. My vault is packed to the gills now.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I bought it for my rifles but ended up using it for lots of things. We put valuables in it when we're out of town. We keep passports and birth certificates and there year-round to keep them from getting lost. We put family stuff like Super-8 and VHS tapes from my childhood and my wife's family photos in there to keep them safe from fire. It turns out that we needed more space than I anticipated. My vault is packed to the gills now.
That just seems counter intuitive to me.
All the nice valuables in one spot.
A couple guys and a truck and its gone....

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good question. Originally I was just going to get something for my handguns but now that you mention valuables, passports etc that is not a bad idea at all and in that case it should be fireproof, right?

What are your goals, Carl? Are you just trying to keep the guns from curious little hands? Is theft a concern? What about fire protection?

I own a Fort Knox vault. A small sized one of their higher end models. I bought it for my rifles but ended up using it for lots of things. We put valuables in it when we're out of town. We keep passports and birth certificates and there year-round to keep them from getting lost. We put family stuff like Super-8 and VHS tapes from my childhood and my wife's family photos in there to keep them safe from fire. It turns out that we needed more space than I anticipated. My vault is packed to the gills now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
FWIW I got a biometric safe for my glock about 12 months ago.

It has a 5 digit code you have to press and is battery powered.

I didn't open it for about 9 months and it wouldn't open. The batteries were low enough that the green light was still on but not charged enough for the mechanism to unlock.

Pretty scary but with kids you're negligent if you don't have some kind of buffer/safe.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
We have safe we are giving away. Would make a great gun safe. Has two smaller safes built inside.
If you can move it, you can have it.
But there is the small issue of weight. I'd guess its a thousand pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------ Follow up post added November 22nd, 2016 12:26 AM ------

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts