Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening my fellow crusaders,
I have begun my journey into the land of GM engines into LR machines. I am somehow inserting a L83 with a 6L80 into a 1986 RHD Land Rover 90 (Defender).
I've been following the guides posted by whom I consider my swap forefathers: Nick, Factoid, and Andy. I know there are many of you out there but these are the most intensive documentations of LSx and LT swaps. I will be doing my best to document my build through this forum. I am in the process of building a BOM as well for everything I have spent money on. I have a budget of $10k that I will surely bust. With your help I can hopefully stay around this ball park number.
I have already completed a mild resto on the visual portion of this legendary vehicle. See pictures below.
I am by no means an expert, just a regular hobbist car mechanic. I have spent 12 years enlisted in the Air Force as a diesel generator mechanic. I was stationed in England for 5 years and that made buying a Defender and restoring it very inexpensive. Now after importing it (at gov expense :D), I can start playing with the power plant. I will apply work ethic, organization, and troubleshooting skills to this project as I do in the military. I will still be very much in need your help.
I have done ALL the work myself. I've learned the easy and hard ways in most cases while working on this machine. I never outsource work because I have faith I can do it myself (even if I have to do it 4 times). The most important lesson I have received from my experience is to always have an open mind. Someone, somewhere has already done what you are doing so ask for guidance. I am a youtube university student and will always be one. Hats off to everyone who helps and shares knowledge. I am now trying to do my part.

This engine tech is all new to me. Any ideas or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm located in northern Utah and if you guys want to help or know of shops nearby that would be helpful too. I'm going to talk with salt coast defenders this week to pick at their brains a bit on swapping the Gen V into my LR. Below are some pics of the removal of my 2.5 petrol. That's as far as I can go right now. I have ordered plenty of goodies from nick already and awaiting their arrival.

Most of the problems I foresee so far are as follows:
1. Power steering
2. Radiator/trans/oil cooling
3. Lokar shifter 4L60 or 6L80
4. Fuel system
5. Arrangement of front belt accessories
6. Clearance of all installed parts
7. Tunnel clearance (Nick told me I'm going to need the R380 tunnel already)
8. Gauges
9. MONEY!

I know there are plenty of solutions out there and that would be great if I had tons of money but I'm trying to keep this at an achievable budget. This is my truck. I am still in the military so I don't make much but what I lack in my wallet, I make up in affordable problem solving and fabrication. (professional Jerry rigs and backyard ingenuity)

God bless my wife for putting up with my shenanigans! She will be my camera lady on my YouTube channel that I'll be providing at a later date! Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thank you for posting this. Nick has posted one or more specific problems with adapting the Gen V, right? Have you come up with a plan to deal with the Gen V issues mentioned in Nick's thread?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for posting this. Nick has posted one or more specific problems with adapting the Gen V, right? Have you come up with a plan to deal with the Gen V issues mentioned in Nick's thread?
He told me he hasn't tried with a RHD yet so I guess i'm the guinea pig for this. There might be clearance issues but I'm hoping there isn't much. ICT and dirty dingo have come up with some solutions but I just have to do some trial and error.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the board!
Thank you! I'm nervous about all this because I don't know much about what I'm doing. I'm just diving head first. I seem to do well i these situations. Only because I'm so damn headstrong. This engine will go in this vehicle, even if it takes me years ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Today I removed the clutch pedal and all its ancillaries, old ass exhaust, and all the fuel lines. Tomorrow I get all of the parts ordered from nick followed by my chevy fuel pump which I'll install in my new gas tank.

OK, now call me crazy but I think I might have found a solution to my p/s, or lack there of, problem. There's a couple of electronic power steering motors for most of the new cars. I found a saturn vue EPS that might just work for my defender. Might take some handy welding but it just might work. Some guy in Portugal sells the dohicky to make it work without the saturn ECU and it has a rheostat to control the sensitivity which I can place in my choke slot on the dash... More to come.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
I'm doing electric power steering and one other person on this board has . He used a mr2 pump and I'm using a Saturn Astra pump , both are non-canbus

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm doing electric power steering and one other person on this board has . He used a mr2 pump and I'm using a Saturn Astra pump , both are non-canbus
I'm avoiding the "pump" entirely and hooking up a type of electrical assist on the steering column. This is going to be interesting..

Thats only nine commandments.
10: More MONEY!

GLWYB = Good luck with your build!
Mo money mo money mo money!!

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I’d be afraid of the forces in the steering geometry with an electric set up from one of those vehicles. Just intuitively feels it won’t be strong enough on a truck running large tires compared to design predicted forces of a Saturn or whatever. But I admittedly don’t know **** about an electric only set up. Just a gut feeling if I was rolling on 35’s... I’d love to see what you are thinking.. call it the curiosity of the mechanical engineer in me!

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
I was in the same exact boat until I saw guys using these Saturn steering columns and the electric power steering pumps on track cars

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
They are not talking about electric pumps. They are talking about direct electric steering.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Yeah— I’m cool with electric over hydraulic. That is proven. Just worried about all electric. Again, just don’t know about it but will check it out!!

Just watched a couple videos and looked up a Saturn Vue. interesting concept. Not convinced for a Defender (or bigger), but can definitely see it is an interesting concept given the right gear box for the steering arm... the right gear box, it could be good for anything theoretically.... can’t wait to see what you come up with!

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
Although he says electrical assist on the column. That won’t do anything if the stock hydraulic box is there. Hydraulic power steering is not a booster. It has a fixed force output based on the maximum pump pressure. The input forces have no affect on the maximum output forces.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
It looks like some of the buggies just have a simple gear box to the steering arm... then it would make sense. Just depends on the gearing and lock-to-lock rotations...makes it sort of interesting...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steering

Once I get the part in we'll see what happens and where I can mount it. There is one spot in particular that I'm looking at which is under the hood in the intermediate shaft. I think I can omit or weld it in there and mount it to the metal fender. if not..:crash: is in my future

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
Once I get the part in we'll see what happens and where I can mount it. There is one spot in particular that I'm looking at which is under the hood in the intermediate shaft. I think I can omit or weld it in there and mount it to the metal fender. if not..:crash: is in my future
Can you explain your plan? Like I said, adding anything to the existing steering box input shaft won't help. All that the input shaft does is open a valve and the hydraulics push the wheels. Adding more input force won't change the output force. It will break the box though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I see what you mean now after I done learnt myself. This is why I'm here.

If I were to just create a pipe that goes from one side of the steering box to a reservoir and back to the other side of the steering box that would at the very least create some circulation but no pressure. It's almost as driving the car as if it were off when the power steering pump was installed. Then would the electric motor assist in steering or is this just a stupid idea and I should get an electric hydraulic pump?

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
Electric assist on the stock gearbox would break the gearbox. It is not designed for high forces at the input.

An electric pump is simply to replace the engine driven pump. It is what you would do if maintaining the stock steering box and wanting to not install an engine driven pump.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts