Defender Source Forum banner

3101 - 3120 of 3123 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
After trying a variety of fuel pump configurations for the trucks with steel tanks, I finally just decided to design a solution. This is the first prototype, and after a couple of minor revisions I'll have a handful of these if anyone needs one for their swap. This will bolt directly in place of the pickup tube on any factory steel tank with a 5-bolt flange, both rear mounted and side mounted. Can be used with either barbed fuel fittings if you want to use traditional fuel hose, or AN fittings.

-Ash

Can I purchase one of these ? How can I get ahold of you? Thanks

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Yep, as I struggled to come up with the word, I knew I was screwed. I’m trying to figure out how to mount the piece circled below... if all I have to do is make a plate that bolts to the transfer case adapter and the circled item, I’m cool with making something custom like that. Just looking to avoid a pitfall if possible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I cut off some excess plastic and then mount it to the seat box. The cable goes through the hole in the tunnel that the t-box shifter sticks up through. You have to shim up the back to level it out though.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
The 10-speed and 8-speed are only supported on the Gen5 and Gen5.5 engines. While 6-speed is still supported on the Gen4 and Gen5 engines
Both the 8 and 10-speed shift like a sports car. Smooth during normal driving, quick when you're on it. You actually can't tell when it shifts in normal traffic.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm looking for part number FRC8558. Nobody in europe has it, RN doesn't have it. Does anybody have it?
Lrdirect.com has it. Junk yards should have it too, plenty available from automatic D1's.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,095 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Thanks guys. I ordered it from another European store and they said they didn't have it, then they said they called around and nobody else had it. I'll try your places, thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The BOM lists crossmember KVB500060. I have a 300Tdi D1 with ANR371.

I've tried to cross-reference photos and it looks like it picks up the same points as KVB500060+brackets but ties it all together as one unit instead. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Last question for now :)
I’m curious if you ended up using your 300tdi crossmember? Could it work? I’m starting this build from the same beginning and have the same question

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Strange no start. So I have been storing my truck at my buddies house for several months. I went to take it home yesterday but it would not start. that morning, he had moved it from his driveway to the road--behaved normally, little low on battery.

So the battery is about 11V. Less when trying to start. It turns the motor, struggles a little but then just sits there and cranks (not too fast like normal, but not super sluggish either) and the battery voltage drops to about 9 during this. I checked the fuel rail and thank god I am getting 60psi as I don't want to deal with dropping the fuel tank--I have done that enough in my life (and I have a full length bed drawer bolted down so accessing from above would be super hard too...). But it isn't that. We hear the fuel pump and I am getting fuel.

Where it stands right now, I have a charger on the battery to top it off. Maybe the low voltage during chug over is just not enough for the ECU. That seems like an easy something to rule out. I also reconnected both plugs to the ECU just in case of who-knows-what.

Anything else to check while I am over there this evening? Otherwise, I will just have AAA tow it to my house (about 8 miles) and do my full diagnostics at home. Fuel: Confirmed. Compression--really super likely, not confirmed, but running super strong when running. Spark--will check that easy enough when I bring back my tool kit--but assuming not.

Is low voltage a likely thing given that it does turn over, just no catch (not even a little catch--nothing at all...)? I have never had a low voltage condition do that before but I just can't think of what else this could be just from sitting given it ran just a day earlier (It didn't struggle to start, but it only ran for 30 seconds as he re-parked it, so I am thinking it depleted the already depleted battery that has been sitting a long time...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Converting 2WD 6L80 to 4wd

If anyone here is converting their 2wd 6L80 to 4wd (like 2wd from a Camaro SS) and is in the market for a 4x4 tail housing, be aware there are two different kinds. One is about 3-1/2 inches long, the other is 4 inches long. They will both bolt up, but the long one will throw off your trans/t-box mounts just enough to make you crazy. You need the short one for everything to work out right, (assuming you’re using all of Nick’s stuff).
Hi,
After removing the 2wd housing, do I have to put the GM 4x4 extension housing first, before fitting the GM to LT230 adapter?

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Yes, but you’ll have to address the output shaft too,I do believe, or cut the existing if the spline count is already correct.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The 4x4 extension housing is part number 24241166. Don’t just buy one that looks right because there are different lengths. Get this part number.
The 4x4 seal is part number 24238076
Use 1/4 NPT plugs with some epoxy for the 2 holes. (See pic in next post)

3101 - 3120 of 3123 Posts