Defender Source Forum banner

3081 - 3100 of 3123 Posts

·
Registered
1988 ROW 110 From w/ LS3 6L80E
229 Posts
Mine was routed originally to a fanless cooler mounted at the radiator. I disconnected the return line and downstream from the fanless cooler and installed a derale hyper cool 25 stack plate with an 8" fan under the drivers side floor. Wasnt too bad to route the line. Just routed the return to the derale then installed a new line to the trans. Added the temp sensor to the derale output line. I didnt want to run a whole new line from the fanless to the derale so just extended the original line by another 24" to get to the derale.

BTW tried the 10" derale and due to the position of the inputs, it was super tight to fit under the drivers side. Returned and installed the 8" and it was much better. I tested it running up the grapevine ~6% grade at 98 degree ambient pulling a ~5K trailer and the temp did climb to about 230 but dropped fast when I pulled over. Not towing it never goes over 190 even on the hottest days in S. California.

I believe Mark installed his in the front skid plate. Might be a better location given its better protected but for me its so tucked up there above the frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tend to agree, but as much as I love Rover stuff it is hard to argue with the package. For this project we just bought a brand new (complete) LS3 and a brand new 6L80E with all the wiring, the ECUs, a custom set up in the gearbox ECU so that it works the way we want it, etc. etc. and all in we are under $13K shipped to our loading dock.
That may sound like a lot (considering you could junk yard a lot of that for cheap), but try putting together a brand new performance 4.6 Rover V8, adding in the cost of a new ZF auto and all new ancillaries and it is way more than that and you are going to be at about 275hp vs. over 400hp. It isn't for everyone, but IMO it has a place in the market. :)
Late to this tread, very late but wondering where you found the complete setup mentioned above? Im just starting this project

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
RW ENG def has the LR conversion goods, and you can get the engine and trans here...

Years ago bought the L94(truck LS3) and 6L80e from them, paired with the Lokar shifter up through the r380 shift boot so you can keep a tuffy, makes a stout setup that looks pretty OG Rover IMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awsome! Didn't know that.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
I see many of you have done this Gen 4 / ^L80E swap. Curious on durability out 4-5 years now from the original thread? Have most disengaged and DOD on the Gen 4? I have a 84 110 and a little intimidated by the electronics of the newer power plants but love the fact all bolts to the existing LT230 location

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I see many of you have done this Gen 4 / ^L80E swap. Curious on durability out 4-5 years now from the original thread? Have most disengaged and DOD on the Gen 4? I have a 84 110 and a little intimidated by the electronics of the newer power plants but love the fact all bolts to the existing LT230 location
We all turn DoD (AFM) off in the software.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My swap is only 8 months old and would never go back. I have put 10K miles on the defender in a short amount of time and driving it with the LS is pure pleasure. Reliability is awesome and starts quick every time. The electronics I think are easier since its all plug n play plus you can buy a scanner and get the engine to 'talk' to you which priceless. Parts are relatively cheap and components like the ac comp, alternator, etc are all modern so much more reliable than anything LR produced.

Wasnt required but I'm obsessive when it comes to things so I replaced everything that could fail even though its rare (on the l99 that is). I had the lifters replaced and the oil pump replaced to a high cap one. On the l99 because of the AFM the valley pan has electric actuators that make the lifters oil be diverted. Got rid of that with the pump upgrade and new lifters. UPgraded the camp getting rid of the potential phaser issue. Basically converted it to an LS3 from an L99 internally getting rid of the DoD in software but also the mechanical aspects of it internally. While at it, upgraded the timing chain, push rods and cam to improve the torque curve at lower rpm.

Again, VERY unlikely these things are needed and failure speaking from GM community is rare. But again if you have the engine out most of this stuff is easy and worth it if it gives you peace of mind especially if you leverage a higher mileage engine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Very happy with the swap. 4 years into the swap and tens of thousands kilometres of expeditions and touring trips, never had a major problem so far. I have DOD running and happy with the fuel consumption.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
haha I had no plans to do it..just morphed into it. I rarely leave good enough alone :). It was perfectly fine when I got it. I think is a combination of late night ambien + a laptop = 'why did I buy that' situation.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I ran the DOD on my LS Jeep for a while and it wasn't worth the lag or vibrations. It usually just idles around at 16-1800 rpm in 6th gear anyway but when you step on the gas it drops gears and goes. I just shut it off in the tune 7 or 8 years ago and left the rest as is. I'll be shutting it off on my LT Defender as well.

Sean

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
I think mine was one of the first swaps and I can say that it always starts and runs like a top it is truly an amazing swap and when I sell my 90 to build a 130 the LS swap will be on the top of my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
great to hear all, Ill be doing this swap with my Daughter, and appreciate the time you all have taken to add pictures, details. Im more a 351 Cleveland( easy ) guy from back in the day, but will give this a shot. Looking at the LH8

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
radiator. Option 2 is to looser the engine mounts and hoist the engine up which is what at this point I am thinking I will try. Has anyone tried to adjust their box with the LS in place yet? If so, how?
K

3081 - 3100 of 3123 Posts