Defender Source Forum banner

2941 - 2958 of 2958 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Where are people installing a water temp sender that will be wired to a Vdo gauge?

And I’m assuming I can plumb an oil pressure sender into the oil cooler block off plate?

Thanks
The correct part numbers are in the bom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
What front springs are you guys running? Would Terra Firma TF-018 front springs work for a 90 SW with a 5.3/6-speed auto work?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Interested in this also. Im running a genuine setup in my lmg 5.3 110 and I think I'm heavy. I'm going to get it weighed, but the springs feel a bit spongy to me. Maybe I need the hd versions??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Did a search and came up empty...

Had Anyone tried an L96 swap? Found a new long block with fuel rail and throttle body for $3,500. Is that a good motor/deal??

·
Registered
415 Posts
There's a guy on here or NAS I was just reading about that did one, same physical size as any Gen IV eng. I've got one in my GMC 2500 and it's a torque monster compared to the 5.3L. Pulled a 31' trailer up to Yosemite with the 6.0L no problems and runs on regular gas vs the 6.2 needing premium.

I would be careful about getting a matching transmission with whatever engine you buy, they can be programmed but it never seems to work out without problems.

Check the numbers on a Gen 5 5.3 L83, same or greater power and torque than the 6.0. About 360 hp/400 torque, and a lot cheaper for a low milage engine than a Gen IV, I paid $3500 CAD for one with a 6L80 Transmission and only about 4000 miles on it.

Sean

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
So, pull a used motor/tranny or buy pre-mated crate etc?

I like the idea of a new motor but don’t need lore headaches on my first swap

Sean, did you keep you stock rear?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have the salisbury rear so if it is in fact equivalent to a D60 then I'm not worried at all. I probably will upgrade the parts like shafts, lockers etc but not yet. I've been driving a 5.3 LS in my Jeep for about 8 years on a D44 rear axle with no problems either. I can't wait to get mine done and driving, if you go ahead, order a radiator right away. I waited just to find out Ron Davis is at least two months lead time.

Sean

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Is it possible to get the 6L80 plug on with the transfer case on or am I gonna have to pull it back. Looks too tight.

TIA
Sean
There are two different length bosses on the front of the lt230. The puma has the long boss and traps the connector. While the shorter (earlier) one allows enough clearance to manipulate the connector out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Based on my experience I would give the following recommendations:
  1. Try the rover radiator before dropping a ton of $ on the ron davis. I started with a custom aluminum radiator that worked just fine but was $800. It died not too long after install. In fairness it sat on the shelf for a long time prior to me installing so it could have been shipped to me with weak welds where my leak developed that I did not notice until it was far too late to return. I Switched to the $200 rover 3.5 V8 radiator shipped immediately from Rovers North that is performing exactly like the custom radiator. Neither setup used a fan shroud and I am still using the 2 spal fans from the original configuration. I will probably fabricate a shroud to improve airflow when in heavy traffic. For reference I am running a 5.3 LC9 with my trans cooler temporarily located in front of radiator and a warn zeon winch blocking lower 25% of the radiator.
  2. Have a custom Y-Pipe done local to you once motor is in place. The swap does not leave much margin for error. I had to clearance my cross member and the cat on the drivers side is somewhere around 1/8-1/16 from the chassis. All in based on my cost of Y-Pipe and subsequent adjustments and welding needs I could have had something 100% custom done and had a better fit. No knock on the Y-Pipe I purchased itself. The build quality is good but the clearance is just too tight in my opinion to be mass produced without the need for "adjustments"

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
I still need to go in and have my Y-pipe tweaked. I too recommend doing that custom at the end. I even tried to move my motor and even shim it to get them from not making a racket on the frame rails with no luck. I'll have my exhaust guy do it at some point but it isn't something that is going to be an easy or cheap fix. They are really well made, but given the tolerances down there, I wouldn't prepurchase another y-pipe again. I would do them myself or have them done post installation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally finished my conversion

I finally got my l92 conversion on the Road and it has completley transformed the car????
I have been driving it around northern seeland (Denmark) for the past 14 days and I have completely fallen I love with it again. It has made drwing it so relaxed and to be able to talk with a passenger, traveling 60 at the freeway is a first for me? I can’t believe how well suited the l92/ 6l80/ 1:1 lt230 is and the sound is amazing?
Thanks to Nicholas Markiw for his huge effort on this forum and making these conversions possible!

Best regards
Nicholai
Hi Nicholai
i noticed in the pics that you still have you ABS unit. What are you using to send signal to the ABS ECU. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
They do exist!

Yes, Clay jumped the gun. A bit.

Ok, here we go. I have developed a bolt-in solution for the GM Gen IV LS engine and 6L80E transmission that couples to the LT230. The LT230 is exactly in the stock position. I think I will just post a few pictures and let it sink in. I made a run of five adapters to start.
New to this. How do I get in contact with you. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,958
Looking for recommendations on Energy Suspension or other upgraded Tranny mount bushing for the LS conversion.
Can anyone point me into an alternative to the stock LT230 bushings? Please.

2941 - 2958 of 2958 Posts