Defender Source Forum banner

2921 - 2940 of 2957 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I talked to him and he said Nick has drawings for one that he could mirror so both ports are on the left. My only concern is the 29.5" width and my cradle is 29 3/8" wide, probably get it in if I loosen the bolts but I don't want it touching the steel cradle. I'll see what the drawings look like if that's the actual body width or if it's a fitting or something sticking out. I'll have to do my own fans and shroud as I need a PWM controlled fan.

Thanks for the link,
Sean

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
I believe Spal has a new low profile PWM fan with super good CFM (way above normal). I think I saw it on Axis Instagram but not fully sure. Looked great though!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have to read up a little more on this, it's another one like the fuel pump that I've never seen before. Looking at those Spal fans, a couple 12" will give out 1800cfm.....wow, that should do it lol.

Sean

·
Registered
415 Posts
That's great, thanks I'll be looking into that. Of course it's a Jeep part so it will be 15 times more expensive lol. I know the Pentastar fans were really good also. Jeeps are good for blowing air I guess, best heater I've ever owned.

Sean

·
Registered
415 Posts
I talked to Axis yesterday and got a lot of information. That fan isn't ready yet and is too thick anyways. Lots of complaints about it sounding like a jet engine on the Jeep sites lol, no $hit. There's a couple fans, Derale 12" at 2000CFM each and Spal 1800 CFM each. I finally found somewhere that the Corvette C6 runs under 2000cfm stock so 4000 with 2 12"'s should be good given the tighter engine compartment and lack of airflow (winch, lightbars etc.). He suggested OEM fans if possible as they are the most reliable, the Camaro SS if you can make it fit, that's what Motech suggests as well but I think it's too big.

I'm really wishing I had mounted the engine back another 2-3" in hindsight but that would mean Driveshafts, exhaust center console etc would all need changed. Might have to go with a bump out grill which I didn't really want to do.

How much room do you guys have with the LS from the pulleys to the rad cradle???

Thanks,
Sean

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
On my build I used an Alisport rad with the plenum & dual Spal fans, had to move the motor back 1.5”. Would not have got that rad in without that and as I was making custom props anyway since I have a crawler box too, it didn’t matter.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
My engine is like 2" away or so. Super close. Yeah, moving the engine back or radiator forward is the ticket. Plus I have the long nose water pump due to the VVT... Would have done it without that next time as I don't feel we need any more power--the 400+ is just ridiculous (in a good way, but I never use it to capacity...).

·
Registered
415 Posts
For the guys that don't have the tap shift, have you ever tried this to lock it in a certain gear? I want to try it in my LS Jeep but I blew a fuel line. Sometimes I swear Robbie from Motech knows more than the GM engineers.

Sean

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Where are people installing a water temp sender that will be wired to a Vdo gauge?

And I’m assuming I can plumb an oil pressure sender into the oil cooler block off plate?

Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
Where are people installing a water temp sender that will be wired to a Vdo gauge?

And I’m assuming I can plumb an oil pressure sender into the oil cooler block off plate?

Thanks
Attached oil pressure sender with 2 leads, one for the light and the other for a vdo gauge. Or look for a single lead sender for light only.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Guys...
Regarding the temp sender, the TD5 sender has the correct thread and fits right in the head.. Mind you it only work with TD5 gauge as it has a different resistance range, it won't work with the VDO gauge that's commonly used in North America.

However, the TD5 sender has a floating ground, so I suppose someone could put a combination of resistors across or inline to make it work.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts

Thanks
My truck has a GenIII 5.3, I used an adapter in the stock location on the back of the block for my VDO sender, not sure if the GenIV is the same location?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Great thanks guys. I found a plug towards the back of the right side head that I think is the correct place for coolant temp.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Great thanks guys. I found a plug towards the back of the right side head that I think is the correct place for coolant temp.
I forgot I had to use an angled fitting for the sender to clear as my plenum is reversed due to it being the taller truck type... just an FYI...

·
Premium Member
494 Posts

Thanks
The correct part numbers are in the bom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2921 - 2940 of 2957 Posts