Defender Source Forum banner

2901 - 2920 of 2957 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check out Les Richmond Automotive in AUS, they are into LS installations in RaRo’s and have plenty of body off chassis pics on their FB page.
Do you think LRA is using Nick's stuff for the LC9 installs? Seems like the kind shop that rolls their own stuff which leaves me still searching for someone stateside that has used Nick's parts to get a RRC on the road. Anyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder how willing they would be to share the specific of their LC9 installs. Sometimes people that do it professionally don't like to share the details. It's the details that make the difference between a completed swap and one that sits in your garage and never makes it across the finish line.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Is there something specific that you're wondering about. Between the guys here, LS1 Tech, JKOwners etc just about anything you can think of is covered. I'm just working through a generation 5 swap on mine kind of as a side project right now until I'm ready to focus on it and I've done a Generation 4 LC9 swap in my Jeep. I have a ton of pictures of each that I can share as well as most guys here would do as well I'm sure.

My only regret is I wish I had mounted the engine about 2" rearward but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to work through it as is. Just approach it as smaller projects and not one big one and you'll find it isn't that hard. But what do I know, mines not running yet lol.

Sean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there something specific that you're wondering about. Between the guys here, LS1 Tech, JKOwners etc just about anything you can think of is covered. I'm just working through a generation 5 swap on mine kind of as a side project right now until I'm ready to focus on it and I've done a Generation 4 LC9 swap in my Jeep. I have a ton of pictures of each that I can share as well as most guys here would do as well I'm sure.

My only regret is I wish I had mounted the engine about 2" rearward but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to work through it as is. Just approach it as smaller projects and not one big one and you'll find it isn't that hard. But what do I know, mines not running yet lol.

Sean
Thanks @sgo70 . Between the rangerovers.net group saying don't do it because you will never finish and not being able to connect directly with someone who has a Range Rover Classic swap running I just get nervous as it is a pretty big expense to get 95% done and then get stuck. I am confident (based on the many positive comments on here) that Nicks parts will be able to get the engine, tranny and LT230 in the car and mounted. His spreadsheet does a good job highlighting some of the extra parts needed to connect to system and complete the job. I would just like to connect with someone who did it using Nicks parts. I think my biggest concern is probably the electrical. I would love to do away with the 30 year-old electrical parts in the car and run never electronics. Based on reading that seems like a bad idea.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Get back to me in a couple months, I've pulled every wire out of mine lol. The engine harness covers anything engine related except battery and starter. All my gauges, sensors, speedo etc are picked up through the OBD II plug via the ECM. Dakota Digital can make things real easy for a price as well as Speartech for the engine.

I understand, I'm not really looking forward to it but it can be done. I'm going all Delphi plugs and I came across this thread that gave me some ideas for the power center:

Good Luck,

Sean

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
I have no idea which RRC you have but there is a huge range of electronic differences between a 1988 and a 1995. It will be a much bigger task for the later model ones. Getting the truck running and driving will not be too difficult. If the 1995 uses 2 harnesses, engine and car, then it shouldn't be too hard if you go at it methodically.

I hate getting into the dashes of the RRC's. Just being scared of tabs breaking alone makes me hesitant. I had the least complicated, 1988 and even getting to the heater core was tough. Not complicated, just a lot to do with a ton of wires that if they got unplugged or broken would be a very difficult fix tracking down...

So work slow and methodical. Just depends on how quick you need it and how much free time you have. If you are newly wed, your screwed one way or another. If you have a new born, you are completely buggered. But otherwise, shouldn't be too hard...

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Do you think LRA is using Nick's stuff for the LC9 installs? Seems like the kind shop that rolls their own stuff which leaves me still searching for someone stateside that has used Nick's parts to get a RRC on the road. Anyone?
They designed their own adaptors, lots of pics on their FB page to review. Will give you a good idea of the complexity of the task.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They do exist!

Yes, Clay jumped the gun. A bit.

Ok, here we go. I have developed a bolt-in solution for the GM Gen IV LS engine and 6L80E transmission that couples to the LT230. The LT230 is exactly in the stock position. I think I will just post a few pictures and let it sink in. I made a run of five adapters to start.
hi there! do you have any of this adapter on stock?

·
Registered
68 Posts
What are you guys using for radiator hoses with the LS3? We're having a tough time figuring out something that has a serial number and can be easily replaced if necessary. Something like this would be great:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an LT motor, L86/8l90e and including transfer case going into a 1988 110.

I also have F&R complete axle assemblies from a 2012 Ford F-250, including brakes and steering rack. Doing a 4 link in the rear. Coils in the front.

Ive got a lot of questions, but the main question centers around connecting the steering. I’m planning on a Redhead steering box and a modified/custom ford rack. Thoughts?

Any other issues you can see?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
HPS silicone hoses. Upper, 2x 1-3/8” 90s + coupler, lower 1-3/4” 90.
Nick would they be the same for a 5.3 LC9 & Ron Davis radiator?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm trying to talk with someone at Ron Davis to order my radiator, does anyone have a part number?? I've been trying to get a hold of someone to talk to for two days.

Also, is it a dual pass rad? My thinking is both my water pump and thermostat housings are on the drivers side so I want to get them to put both inlet/outlet on the drivers side as well.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
415 Posts
All figured out, I actually got to talk to the man himself so that was worth the wait!!

Going to do both outlets on the drivers L/H side so running tubes should be easier.

Sean

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Well mine is done. LC9 from Turnkey, Nick's kit. It is easily the second most awesome thing that has happened to my Defender since the most awesome thing was me blowing up the 19J so that I was forced to replace the engine. If you haven't finished, don't let your remaining years slip away not driving your rig without the power it should have had from the beginning. As a side note, I believed the allure of a Land Rover was pissing everyone off by not being able to reach highway speeds, sounding like a tractor, dumping oil all over my garage . . .

But that's all behind me now.

Thanks a ton Nick for making the kit!

2901 - 2920 of 2957 Posts