Defender Source Forum banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Had almost the same email exchange with Parrie yesterday.
I recommend using a 300TDI 130 heavy duty clutch, but since it is for the long belhousing don't use the 130 clutch release bearing because they are different from the short transmissions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had almost the same email exchange with Parrie yesterday.
I recommend using a 300TDI 130 heavy duty clutch, but since it is for the long belhousing don't use the 130 clutch release bearing because they are different from the short transmissions.
Ah, sounds good. 300tdi plate and disk and So just use the petrol clutch release bearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Yesterday I worked on the RHD 110 2 door and the small Holley Sniper BBD works fine.
When I bought it over a year ago, it was the only small sniper available.
Now they have the 2GC SMALL BORE that I will try next.
Recently bought a NOS factory air filter housing with an elbow for the valve cover connection.
Pretty cool that the factory air cleaner housing fits under the stock hood and goes right on top of the Sniper.

With the Sniper display you no longer have any need for a temp gauge, voltmeter, or tach as they all appear on the sensor display with AFR, throttle position and some other readings.
This gives you room for a fuel pressure gauge and a vacuum/economy gauge.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is a factory power steering bracket that will bolt to the left side of the engine and clear the fender well.
I'm modifying and reusing the odd alternator left high mount bracket that came on my motor. I'm gong to try and make a PS bracket on the right attaching to the two front bolts (near timing cover), the bolt hole on the front side of the head, and over the oil filter to the bolt hole behind the filter. My crude photo edit

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Just ordered the P/S Pump Pressure Valve Shim 899001 Kit from Borgeson to reduce the 1,200 LB Saignaw pressure down to 800 for the Land Rover steering box.
Looks like an easy install.
Can be purchased direct from Borgeson or from Summit other vendors.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
And the best part of these motors for you guys who want more power - they share a lot of common parts with the old Chevrolet V-8 - pistons, valves,rockers, rods and some other parts
Can confirm, I helped a friend in HS/College with this motor in a CJ rebuilt it with parts intended for a 350 Chevy V8 (half of them :)) to build some nice power. It was ~70hp when we started on the very tired block, ~185 when we were done and ran VERY smooth.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Finally got some free time today and have my ps bracket positioned and just to need to finish the supports.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
It's been 5 months since we bolted the Chevy inline 6 cylinder 250 cuin (4.1 liter) into the first 110 mock-up vehicle.
Now we have a prototype 250 integrated head engine in our British Red Cross, East Africa 110.
Don't let the dirty engine fool you, it came out of a wrecked pickup with just over 46,000 miles.
Found the engine on FB Marketplace for $125.
I probably purchased the first 2 barrel BBD Holley Sniper kit even before it was listed on the Holley website.
The engine starts on the turn of the key regardless of temperature and cruses down the highway between 70 and 80 MPH.
Even at those speeds you barely hear the engine with the stock exhaust.
Made a custom down pipe to connect the engine to the stock exhaust complete with a vibration damper section.
Chose to weld in a bung for the O2 sensor.
The stock Chevy air cleaner fits on top of the Sniper and clears the bonnet.
Since the Sniper handheld display provides a sensor screen: tach, temp, and voltage gauges are unnecessary.
This frees up positions for an oil pressure, vacuum, and fuel pressure gauges.
I think the fuel pressure gauge is a must as it lets you view the initial starting fuel pressure and the running pressure.
The sniper comes with a 60 PSI pressure regulator that can be removed and adjusted if needed.
Here are some pictures of the sniper setup.
I found some near identical vacuum gauges that have a black bezel that match the stock gauges a little better that will be used in the future.

IMG_20200130_082914767.jpg IMG_20200110_155830290.jpg IMG_20200110_155934411.jpg IMG_20200130_094154697_HDR.jpg IMG_20200130_094309910.jpg IMG_20200130_094342298.jpg Tim Vaccuum.jpg IMG_20200110_160000200.jpg

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just ordered the P/S Pump Pressure Valve Shim 899001 Kit from Borgeson to reduce the 1,200 LB Saignaw pressure down to 800 for the Land Rover steering box.
Looks like an easy install.
Can be purchased direct from Borgeson or from Summit other vendors.
Missed this post RD...is this for a specific Saginaw pump?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Excellent work!
Did you add a support on the front behind the pulley to keep the PS Pump from twisting?
Couldn't tell from the pictures.

Working on the front support now
Then trying to figure out a back side support also, maybe to the bolt behind the oil filter.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Installed the shims in the Saignaw PS pump mentioned in post 109.
Removed the 1 shim that was already in place and installed all 5 shims that came in the kit which sets the pressure at 700 PSI. During the test drive, didn't notice any change in the steering with the pressure reduction.

101 - 120 of 152 Posts