Defender Source Forum banner
581 - 589 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
UPDATE:
I have been trying to enjoy my Defender after doing my 250 conversion and have done so but have had major issues with my sniper installation. I have narrowed down the issues to the fact my motor is not the healthiest thing out there.
The conversion is excellent without complaint but the sniper was causing me major issues. I installed the original carburetor and adjusted my timing using a vacuum gauge. The truck starts up with a flick of the key even when hot and it is a 100 degrees out, runs like a champ with no issues at all. I am so happy I can call the truck finished now.

If you want to run the engine on the carb and not spend $1500 plus on a holley I say go for it you wont be disappointed.

I have one if these running right now and love it!!!

·
Premium Member
11,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
Pictures of a RHD install of a 200TDI AC kit onto a Chevy 250 using the brackets and extra pulleys we manufacture.
This required a different fan belt and two custom hoses.
Everything else is stock.
Like the engine, It all bolts right in and makes no changes to the host vehicle.
Click to enlarge.

·
Registered
1985 Ninety
292 Posts
Alternator wiring question...where do they go? The two large brown wires I would assume go to the main lug on the alternator but I am unsure about the yellow wire and the other loose brown wire just happens to be in the loom so I am not sure of it's purpose.....maybe coolant temp? This is a wiring harness from a 1985 90 with the 2.5L NA and the alternator is a Delco 10SI 3 wire version.

·
Premium Member
11,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
If you check the wiring diagram in the Land Rover workshop manual, you'll see that the 2 brown wires are (+) and run back to the starter solenoid ring terminal.
The brown with yellow wire is the field wire for the charge warning light.
The Delco 10SI alternator has a lug and a 2 spade plug.
If your 10SI is not self exciting:
The 2 brown wires connect to the lug.
The red wire on the 2 spade plug connects to the lug and the other wire connects to the charge warning light.

·
Registered
1985 Ninety
292 Posts
Got it! Any idea what the other stand alone brown wire is for, looks like it might be a spare the best I can tell? My shop manual doesn't have a specific wiring diagram for a 1985, only 1986 onwards and the yellow wire didn't show up. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #586 ·
It's not yellow, it's brown with yellow and it will be in your manual.
Regarding the extra brown: brown is (+) not fused, so likely goes to the ring terminal on the starter solenoid, but where was it plugged into originally?
You may have to trace it back to see where it goes if you don't know.
An easy way to trace is to disconnect the (+) battery cable.
With the (+) battery cable off, run a wire from the (+) side of the battery to the extra brown wire and start checking circuits with a test light until you figure out where the other end of this extra brown wire terminates.

Reactions: blaster11

·
Registered
1986 Land Rover 90 (currently..) 19j / lt77
12 Posts
Hello All..
My "rdavisinva" swap is nearly complete ,, just to tidy up wiring / gauge issues ..

CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT WITH WHAT THREAD TAP I NEED TO FIT THIS ?
(the original temp sending unit) .. i want to keep dash stock as possible.

·
Premium Member
11,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #588 ·
581 - 589 of 589 Posts