Defender Source Forum banner

301 - 308 of 308 Posts

·
Premium Member
94' NAS 3.9 Petrol D90 White soft top (LT77 -> R380, LT230)
227 Posts
That's good to hear. The (or at least my) 3.9 V8 in my NAS D90 most certainly cannot.

·
Premium Member
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Have mentioned this a few times already, but in case you didn't know, there were a couple of NAS 90 owners that bought LHD Chevy 250 conversion kits.
Since the conversion bolts in and out, their rationale was that they could bolt the Chevy 250 in for all the obvious reasons and later they can go back and bolt their Rover V8 and transmission back in and return to the original stock setup.

Reactions: LostChord

·
Premium Member
94' NAS 3.9 Petrol D90 White soft top (LT77 -> R380, LT230)
227 Posts
That is a tempting option! When other restoration are complete, reinstall the 3.9 and sell the NAS D90. Reinstall the Chevy in an important D90.

The existing factory wiring could be kept in place with this option?

·
Premium Member
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
That's a fact.

Reactions: LostChord

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is a tempting option! When other restoration are complete, reinstall the 3.9 and sell the NAS D90. Reinstall the Chevy in an important D90.

The existing factory wiring could be kept in place with this option?
Super easy. 6 wires if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
I think they are referring to the ECU plug and all that stuff.
The answer is I don't think you need any of it.
When we put an Isuzu diesel in our Range Rover Classic, we had to use a relay to get the AC to work, but that was the full extent of the modification.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
just to answer as well - all of the engine harness for the 14cux can be left in place and simply tied up (you can even just unplug the ECU). The Holly Sniper EFI does not use any of it. And you Speedo is a cable running off of the VSS (used by the 14cux ecu but not the holly)..
The only thing that is going to have to change is the fuel pump, the sniper requires 60psi, the stock rover one does not make that much pressure. its fairly straight forward to pull the tank and replace the fuel pump though - something to think about.
So in theory when your ready you just pull the 250 out and drop in the 3.9 in a weekend if all the wiring and other 3.9 bits are still there.

Reactions: rdavisinva

·
Premium Member
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
just to answer as well - all of the engine harness for the 14cux can be left in place and simply tied up (you can even just unplug the ECU). The Holly Sniper EFI does not use any of it. And you Speedo is a cable running off of the VSS (used by the 14cux ecu but not the holly)..
The only thing that is going to have to change is the fuel pump, the sniper requires 60psi, the stock rover one does not make that much pressure. its fairly straight forward to pull the tank and replace the fuel pump though - something to think about.
So in theory when your ready you just pull the 250 out and drop in the 3.9 in a weekend if all the wiring and other 3.9 bits are still there.
Wow.
You were able to cover pulling out a Rover V8 from a NAS D90 and putting in a Chevy 250, then putting the V8 back to make it original again, all in one post.
Thanks a lot Rob.

This confirms just how the different engines and transmissions can bolt in and out because there aren't any changes to the host vehicle and explains the rational the 2 owners had when they bought Chevy 250 conversion kits to bolt into their NAS D90s.

301 - 308 of 308 Posts