Defender Source Forum banner

281 - 300 of 308 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Is a suspension upgrade necessary to address the (additional) weight of the Chevy 250?
No suspension upgrades are required, in fact the conversion make absolutely no changes at all to the host vehicle.

I had a 19j in my truck so I am guessing the Chevy 250 is roughly 100lbs lighter ....could be wrong
That sounds about right.

·
Premium Member
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Send me a PM. We have 25 more coming out in a few weeks.
12 are pre-sold.

Reactions: KO1 and hanzo111

·
Registered
579 Posts
Anyone in the Atlanta Area considering this build and in need of parts? I seem to have accumulated some extra parts in my search to build one of these engines.

I have:
2 cylinder heads - 1 integrated and 1 non integrated
Oil pan and oil lifter
Valve cover gasket for integrated head
A block stripped down
Lots of other odds and ends

My wife would like it out of the garage. PM for details if interested.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just a little update:
So I ran the fuel line for the holy sniper and mounted it by welding 2 studs onto the inner frame rail.

I ran the exhaust to the original down pipe of the 250 motor and welded on the original downpipe of my 19j
unnamed.jpg

I then used a mix of the old exhaust and new exhaust section along with a borla muffler to complete the system. In the future I will have a shop bend up a whole stainless exhaust now that I have my bends correct.

Cleaned up after this pic was taken :D

·
Premium Member
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
For those of you that have been asking about the kits.
We have a few left from the second batch of 25 if you are interested in purchasing a conversion kit.
For those of you waiting on your kit, many were packed over the weekend and will ship out today and later this week.

As a recap, the options are:
RHD no AC
RHD with AC
LHD no AC
LHD with AC.
The conversion kit will fit into any Defender with a pre 300TDI 4 cylinder or a Rover V8.
Later this month, we are suppose to have an owner bring in a 300TDI 110 for a conversion.
When this conversion is finished, we'll have motor mounts that go from the 300TDI frame mounts over to the Chevy 250 engine expanding to fit all pre-TD5 Defenders.

One owner is working on installing a LHD no AC kit into a 1988 Santana 88 and while not finished, he thinks the Chevy 250 engine will bolt into his Santana with our kit like it bolts in a Defender.

And finally note that the Chevy 250 engine conversion bolts into a Defender without making any changes to the host vehicle.

Reactions: LostChord

·
Premium Member
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Typically reuse the old Rover full width non-TDI radiator.
Last week ours sprung a small leak.
Since it's our daily driver we needed to keep it roadworthy.
We had an extra high performance radiator from a race car in the shop that was the right size, but with about twice the cooling capacity.
The machinist made 4 blocks to mount the radiator into our 110.
The right pipe was located higher up on the tank instead of in the lower corner like the stock Defender radiator.
This location clears the RHD steering box perfectly.

The size of this replacement radiator was close to the old Rover unit so the original fan shroud was reused.
We had previously fitted the shroud with a used electric fan we took from the surplus pile.
We made a lower mounting tab to functionally match the original one.

Will post up some pictures of the final install as soon as I get a chance to take them.
In the meantime, here are some pictures of the replacement radiator.
IMG_20210209_113032710.jpg IMG_20210209_113045932.jpg IMG_20210209_113059092_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20210209_113151941.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
Typically reuse the old Rover full width non-TDI radiator.
Last week ours sprung a small leak.
Since it's our daily driver we needed to keep it roadworthy.
We had an extra high performance radiator from a race car in the shop that was the right size, but with about twice the cooling capacity.
The machinist made 4 blocks to mount the radiator into our 110.
The right pipe was located higher up on the tank instead of in the lower corner like the stock Defender radiator.
This location clears the RHD steering box perfectly.

The size of this replacement radiator was close to the old Rover unit so the original fan shroud was reused.
We had previously fitted the shroud with a used electric fan we took from the surplus pile.
We made a lower mounting tab to functionally match the original one.

Will post up some pictures of the final install as soon as I get a chance to take them.
In the meantime, here are some pictures of the replacement radiator.
View attachment 457629 View attachment 457630 View attachment 457631 View attachment 457632

Is that an aftermarket fan setup? Is that a 14” fan? If so, do you have a part number for the cowling?

·
Premium Member
94' NAS 3.9 Petrol D90 White soft top (LT77 -> R380, LT230)
227 Posts
Do you think a Chevy 250 in stock condition other than the HEI distributor and the EFI will at least maintain 55 mph in 5th gear (R380 1.22 transfer case) going up a moderate incline into a strong headwind at 5000+ elevation?

I ask because this is the reality of driving in the Boulder, CO area.

·
Premium Member
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
I would certainly hope so, but you'll likely need to downshift.
If Afton in VA is any indication, I can go 60 MPH in 4th up the mountain when the slow people in the left lane get out of the way.

281 - 300 of 308 Posts