Defender Source Forum banner

261 - 280 of 308 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Under the hood looks straight forward is that a “Vintage Air“ system. What will you be using inside the cabin for controls. .

·
Premium Member
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
No.
Don't use the vintage air units because they don't go all the way across the dash and leave the driver to swelter without any direct air.

The vehicle you ask about has a Elite unit that I fixed and made reliable, unlike it originally was.
Removed the original over complicated wiring and circuit board mechanism and replaced it with a mechanical thermal switch to cycle the compressor and rewired the 3 way blower switch.

The elite and cool air logan units have over complicated wiring and circuit boards that are impossible to troubleshoot and fix,
I gut the original parts when they fail and replace them with more reliable components and also rewire the unit.
For reliability, all the lines get replaced with proper AC hose with steel screw on O-ring fittings on each end.
The elite and cool air logan units have all these cheap aluminum fittings and lines that have to be bent to fit and have all sorts of unnecessary unions because they supply a universal line solution with multiple unions that leak Freon and then need to be frequently charged.
The cheap aluminum lines easily kink.
This universal line solution that comes with the new AC kits is designed so a lot of the same lines will fit RHD and LHD.
I refuse to use that sort of cheap BS and have to have something that is reliable and will last (like a Chevy 250).
Here are a few pictures that were taken years ago when I first installed the under dash AC in this 110 before the Chevy 250 conversion was available.
AC1.jpg AC2.jpg AC3.jpg

Reactions: LostChord

·
Premium Member
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Parts are easily sourced and relatively inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
New AC condenser is in place complete with the custom mounts and the pusher fan.
The Holley Sniper controls the electric suction fan on the inside of the radiator that currently cools the engine.
The system is wired to turn on both fans to cool the engine or when the AC is switched on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
AC charged and blowing cold, just in time for the cooler fall weather!
IMG_20200916_140159850.jpg IMG_20200916_140206008.jpg IMG_20200916_144753319.jpg IMG_20200916_144811220.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Next batch of adapters are in.

20201002.jpg IMG_20201103_143218084_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know of a running Chevy 250 in southern NH (Londonderry, NH) if anyone is looking for one in the area. It is from a 1970 C10 panel truck and is believed to have around 80k miles on it, but true mileage is unknown. Seller is putting in a Vortec, so he no longer needs it. It isn’t pretty, but runs. He is looking for $300 (edited as I was mistaken at $400). Message me if interested.

·
Registered
158 Posts
New HD clutch and 250 is installed and trans is bolted to adaptor. oil pump primed and pressure tested and comes up nicely with turn of key. New fuel tank and sender all hooked up and New fuel lines ran .Wiring all sorted and new starter installed.(thanks brrrt) Working on manifolds this weekend had to drill and tap for new studs. Bought some thin steel to mount the fuel pump and filters to chassis. Waiting on filler tube from RN and should be here early next week. Hopefully will be firing up soon. Over all have learned a ton... nothing has been too difficult however, definitely learned some tricks. The biggest pain is knowing all the bolts and little stuff you need. Not sure how many trips I have made to local ace for bolts but it’s a lot.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Looks great. Any chance you have a list of bolts? Was planning to order from McMaster Carr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
It is so rewarding when someone buys a conversion kit, finds an engine, and undertakes their own install, even though it's the first time they have taken on anything like this.
Good job!

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
With the exhaust connected it'll whisper about like a Rolls Royce

Reactions: rdavisinva

·
Premium Member
94' NAS 3.9 Petrol D90 White soft top (LT77 -> R380, LT230)
227 Posts
Is a suspension upgrade necessary to address the (additional) weight of the Chevy 250?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a 19j in my truck so I am guessing the Chevy 250 is roughly 100lbs lighter ....could be wrong

261 - 280 of 308 Posts