Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been building GM 3.0 Liter 4 cylinder engines for the Land Rover Series IIA and III, since 1994.
They are based on the Mercruiser 140, but require different, pistons, head, manifolds, cam, pulleys, thermostat housing, motor mounts, alternator mount, and so on.
These were only offered as a replacement for the 109 6 cylinder engines.
For many years have wanted to manufacture an oil filter adapter to reposition the oil filter so this engine would falso fit a Land Rover series that originally had the 4 cylinder.
Finally got the prototype manufactured and did the test fit today in a Land Rover Series III Santana 109.
Will update when it's up and running.

Pictures of the adapter.
10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Adapter fitted to the engine installed in the Santana 109.
This originally has a very underpowered 4 cylinder diesel.
The 3.0 liter is rated by GM at 140 HP which will more than double the performance and easily pull a high speed transfer case or 3.54 differentials.
4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Reactions: terryjm1

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few more pictures.
3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I was wondering if you were still doing GM 4 cylinders into series trucks. Looks like so. I'm going to start saving my pennies.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're in the slow process of building a large batch in an effort to make some workshop space.
I think Mark the engine builder is on number 10 last time I counted,
Completed engines occupy a lot less room when compared to all the parts laid out.
If all these ever get completed, we'll have at least 2 of them unsold for the first time ever.
So save fast if you want one.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have been building 3.0 Liter 4 cylinder engines for the land Rover Series IIA and Series III since 1995.
Here is one in a Santana Series III to replace a worn out 2.25 Diesel.
We'll easily be able to go 70 on the Highway.
Still beed to connect the exhaust and install the brake pedal assembly with vacuum booster for power brakes, but getting there.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Test drive.

Reactions: rjparks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts