Defender Source Forum banner

521 - 540 of 547 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I'm putting a Redarc unit into my D-90 - may swap the Hellroaring unit from the D-90 into the Series IIA but Redarc does make some good stuff.
The dual belts on my 2.25 are due to the Tropical Fan - the optional eight blade fan put on military and other Rovers destined for hot climates.

Please PM me some info on your 250/292 kits - one of the local Porsche 356 guys I know is looking at Defender 110 SW's and I was telling him he ought to look for a NA 2,5 diesel or gasoline powered 4 cylinder truck and put one of your engine conversions in it instead of spending big money for a 300 Tdi version. He's never even driven a Defender but I'm going to let him drive mine tomorrow - if that doesn't scare him away he's gonna ask me how much your kit is going to cost him. I've already got him reading this board for research so if Ed sees this I'll fill him in on why your six cylinder swap will make the use of a Defender 110 as a daily driver a lot more bearable - he thinks he'd like to be able to go 65 mph on a regular basis.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I got my 110! The 292 is at the mechanic/machine shop getting a diagnosis. Just need to work out what kit options I want and what I'd need to make it work etc. This 110 has a 2.25 petrol and LT77, I thought I saw on here that you can make a Lt77 work what would I need to do for that provided its cost effective vs going out and buying a r380?

And are you selling the adapter plate for switch to a Holly sniper efi? (I think that's what its called)

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
Looking good.
Yes PM me your email and we'll put you on the kit mailing list and send you details and pricing.

The LT77 has a number of suffix models that evolved over the years with improved strength and durability.
The first, suffix 'D' introduced in 1983 is the weakest.
The conversion kit I offer has a belhousing adapter that will mate the 292 directly to the short belhousing LT77 or the R380 Stumpy.
Unless you plan to be easy on the petal, the 280 FT Lbs of torque from the 292 will be stressful on the weaker suffix 'D' LT77 like any other engine upgrade.

If you plan to use the Holley Sniper 2300 EFI, we can supply you with a modified manifold and manifold adapter.
If you plan to use the Holley Sniper BBD or 2GC Small Bore EFI, the TransDapt 2025 will bolt right the stock manifold.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Offy makes a sweet intake with a standard four barrel square flange that allows a FiTech (which are fantastic by the way) EFI to bolt up. All in it would be less than $2k (manifold, EFI, fuel pump, and accessories) for worry free operation regardless of altitude or attitude.

Offenhauser Single-Quad Intake Manifolds 5416

------ Follow up post added February 5th, 2018 07:49 AM ------

BTW, that’s vehicle attitude, not driver attitude.
This intake has been a massive pain in my ass. ONLY use it with aftermarket tubular header. It fits like crap with stock cast exhaust manifold.

We had to chuck it in the mill and deck the flanges down 0.065” as when bolted to the exhaust, there was too long of an intake runner and the exhaust flange wouldn’t meet the head. Additionally, we had to build an 0.090” spacer to lift the intake up off the exhaust manifold so the bolt holes all lined up on the head. Lastly, the lower chamber of the intake (exhaust gas warming bullshit) hit the exhaust manifold and we had to machine off that lower chamber and use block off gaskets.

So, yeah not great with stock exhaust. Ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #529
I just installed the Trans-Dapt 2025 Carburetor Adapter with the HOLLEY SNIPER EFI 2GC SMALL BORE and it worked fine when bolted to the stock manifold.
It was much simpler, but wasn't available last year when I went with the HOLLEY SNIPER EFI 2300.

Yes that Offenhauser manifold required a lot of extra work welding and adapting for the 2300 to 292 mate up.

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #536
I am already working with Sam.
Please if you can offer any help please do so, otherwise let me work things out with him.
Saignaw manufactured several different pumps and at this point I do not know if you have the correct pump for the kit and may have to have Sam send me the pumps that you or he bought so I can try to fit them when I can get over to the shop.
Virginia is in lock-down right now and because members of our household have been exposed to people who tested positive for COVID-19, I have to wait several weeks before going to the machine shop in the case where I get the PS pumps that don't fit.
I do feel confident that when things normalize that we can make you brackets that will work for one of the pumps you have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
this is my truck at sam's shop. he called you about it last week.
Which pump did you buy? I used the basic pump that was in the instructions. Was a fraction of that price. Ordered a basic Saginaw pump from Summt Racing for chevy 292. Conversion was completed a few weeks ago. Test drive went well. Needed to pull the head because i have a leaky valve guide. Waiting at the moment head work. Its going to be a beast in that 90!

Installation was very straight forward. [ 1986 D90 2.5 NA LHD ] I was able to use original hoses on the power steering pump. I had to ask Robert Davis a lot of questions, an engine swap was way above my skill set. I can send more photos if it will help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Which pump did you buy? I used the basic pump that was in the instructions. Was a fraction of that price. Ordered a basic Saginaw pump from Summt Racing for chevy 292. Conversion was completed a few weeks ago. Test drive went well. Needed to pull the head because i have a leaky valve guide. Waiting at the moment head work. Its going to be a beast in that 90!

Installation was very straight forward. [ 1986 D90 2.5 NA LHD ] I was able to use original hoses on the power steering pump. I had to ask Robert Davis a lot of questions, an engine swap was way above my skill set. I can send more photos if it will help. View attachment 444335

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts

Installation was very straight forward. [ 1986 D90 2.5 NA LHD ] I was able to use original hoses on the power steering pump. I had to ask Robert Davis a lot of questions, an engine swap was way above my skill set. I can send more photos if it will help. View attachment 444335
wow. That is one heck of an ancillary belt drive system...Can it be made more compact?

521 - 540 of 547 Posts