Defender Source Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So I was investigating the rear axle slop. There was about a 20 degree of slop. Preload at the pinion was fine. So I pulled an axle shaft. Axle has no wear. The play when engaged to the diff is not there. When I looked at the teeth on the drive flange, they are about half size. So to enlighten those who are not in the know, Santana used the Land Rover axle. This is the Series 3 spec, so 10 spline both ends. So when I say wear, I am talking about half of the tooth is worn away, so almost 1/8 of an inch. Now couple that with both ends and the lash on the pinion, you get the slop and clunking. Ordered new flanges but not new axle shafts. I measured the teeth at the flange and at the base where there is no wear, less than 2 thousand of wear. That is the difference in a hardens part and a cast part.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Common wear point, i always upgrade mine to aftermarket (as well as the half shafts), either maxi drive, hytuff, ashcroft etc...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
just read the entire post....very good read and your very thorough...I am hopefully dropping my ’85 LR90 this weekend finally after months of collecting parts getting the TC and stumpy from Ashcroft. And nagging Robert. I’m hoping by first of June to be driving on the beach with the kids and grandkids

41 - 43 of 43 Posts