Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I posted this into on NAS-ROW and moving it to here. This is a rolling history of the swap from collecting parts starting in January to today. I probably have 100 hours into the project. Remember I only Changed 1 wire from the original wiring harness and that wire was a change from a spade terminal to a ring terminal to feed the 100amp relay.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the start of my journey. Many thank for Robert Davies for pioneering the conversion and taking the time to tool this up. Let me start by saying that what I am working on is a 91 Land Rover Santana 2500. Haters, just troll somewhere else as I will give you no mind.

So to start, I have the 12J with the 5Speed trans and 1.6 LT230. Drives nice around town but highways are a life here in Montana. I can get up to 70, but it is struggle. So here is the plan:
1. Purchased GM I6 250 (integrated head) from yard: $100
2. Purchased MOST of the kit from Robert: $1400 (Some I will not be using.
3. Purchased 153 tooth flywheel:$60
4. Purchased starter: $150
5. Purchased Alternator: $100
6. Purchased 100 amp relay and fuse block: $20
7. Purchased (already had) Holly Sniper 2300 and Hyperspark Distributer and coil pack: $2000
8. Purchased Disco 1 LT230Q with the 1.2 final drive: $400

1. I had to tear down and degrease the motor. It was a runner from the yard with less than 10k on the clock after a rebuild. Remove all emissions crud and simplify the motor to it's essentials.
2. Next was to build an aluminum adapter from 3/4 billet. There is no adapter for the Rochester 2SE to Holley 2300 flange. I have it mocked up in the picture.
3. Test fit all components
4. Drive the heck out of it till the fuel tank is LOW. Easier to remove when it is on empty.

That is all for now. If anyone is curious, there is the same amount of space from bell housing as a Solihull built D90. The Trans (LT85)
is the same one used in the V8 Land rovers (LR OEM'd it from Santana).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snorkel is just screwed to the wing. They never even cut a hole for it. I will probably do the southdown when I am done. Badging is incorrect. Should say Santana 2500 (for the 88 inch wheelbase) and Santana 3500 (109 wheelbase). Yes for parabolic springs, very nice ride with those springs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update 1. Engine is cleaned up. Carb adapter gasket is in place and bolted down. Working on the Sniper install next. Flywheel comes back from machine shop this afternoon with 6 new M8 holes for the clutch pressure plate. Gaskets on side covers replaced, Hyperspark disti installed. One problem I can across was when I had the engine at TDC, the marks on the Harmonic balancer were 120 degrees off. So I start poking around and decide to pull the balancer. The outer ring that the rubber is mated to must have separated and was slipping. As I used the puller the two pieces separated completely. No big deal, Ordered a new one and I will be a week behind. oh well. but it give me a chance to clean up behind the balancer and replace the time gear cover seal. Cannot find a valve cover for the engine. It originally had the exhaust pipes with the two rectangular pots on top of the cover. Took all the lines off and sealed up the ports with brass plugs. I am reduced to using a spot weld drill bit and removing the pots on top by hand and repainting them. Running low on diesel so I need to be ready to do the swap soon.

Oh, and big thank to Robert for sending over a bracket that was 'missing' from the parts he sent over. i will have a mocked up engine tonight!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ncremental work done on the engine. Flywheel drilled and tapped for the clutch plate. Pilot bush installed. Flywheel installed with red thread locker. Clutch mounted with alignment tool for easier install. New high torque starter installed. New harmonic balancer installed. When I tried to set TDC with the old balancer I was 120 degrees out. The rubber failed and slipped on the inner housing. Spot on now. Hyperspark installed points to #1. New alternator installed with Robert's kit. Oh yeah, and engine mounts installed. Bell housing fitted ready for me to make the dust cover out of aluminum.

Left to do is cut the power steering pump bracket and move back 7/8 of and inch. With Robert's kit, the alternator runs on the outer belt grove and the original PS pump does as well. I need it to run on the inner grove. Easy enough to cut and weld up the bracket. Had to purchase and new band saw blade for mild steel, so that will get done tomorrow. Tonight it will be finishing the valve cover. Removed the two big EGR lumps. Used a spot weld cutter and punched a hole all the way through the cover. Welding up tonight.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so a not so quick update. Replaced the original LT 230 with a Disco 1 version. Ran into a snag with the hi/low linkage. The Disco had the tab that the shifter connected to at the 12 o'clock position. mine had it at the 9 O'clock. Simple solution, use the newer rod, retap the grub screw indent and install. Works perfect. Had to use the original parking brake assembly as it was rod operated and the Disco was cable. Also removed the Hi/low shift solenoid as it is not used. There is a temp sensor that I kept in and will use with a gauge in the future.
I was able to get to all the bell housing bolts without removing the floors and tunnel. I have a 2 post lift :) , so I am cheating. I dropped the transmission crossmember and is gave me enough room for the 17MM wrench that I needed. Fuel tank is drained and cleaned out. In searching for a solution for an always on with the ignition and not cutting up the wiring harness, I think I can use the fuel solenoid on the injector pump. With the Holley EFI system I am using, This wire will drive a 100 amp relay that will feed a new fuse panel. This will support the EFI and Hyperspark ignition system as well as the distributor charge. When ignition turned on, everything is live and will be stable when I turn the key to start. When I turn the key off, relay opens and shuts power to everything. There is a direct connect for both the Hyperspark and EFI system, much like on a radio that requires and always on, Thar will be easy with the input on the relay so I do not have to mess with the original fuse panel.

Engine bay starting to get stripped down. Also LT230 1.6 to 1 for sale! Engine should be going in this weekend for a test fit to ensure engine mounts are spot on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I have attached a couple pics of the LT230 that is now in and functions excellent. The next pics are on f the removal process. All wiring is labeled. Only have starter wiring and alternator to label and disconnect. There were two wires that went to the fuel pump. One I assume is the fuel shutoff solenoid. I verified the have 12 volts constant, even during start. This will drive the secondary fuse panel via a relay. More tomorrow after I disconnect the power steering lines and pull the engine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the engine came out easily today. Only had an hour to play. Tomorrow is the test fit of the GM 250

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sunday update. Royally screwed up. Purchased a new clutch kit, but it will not fit. The LT85 is not the same spline count. The Defenders are 23 spline and the Series 3 are 10. Reordered the correct clutch. Test fit of the engine looks like everything will mount correctly. Engine mounts line up. Just have to wiggle it into place. Tomorrow is the test of might, getting the engine and transmission mated with the old clutch in place as a temp.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pressure plate diameter and type as well as the throwout bearing are correct. This is good because I had the GM flywheel drilled and tapped for that clutch. The old one looks good, with the same bite material as the new one, but has about 1/32 wear.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engine is in! All the bell housing bolts are snugged up with washers and lock washers. I was able to move the starter wire from the battery and route it to the new starter. I had to unwrap a portion of the wiring loom to get enough extra wire for the ignition switch wires that connects to the starter as well. The engine mounts work ok. The driver side was spot on. The pax side had to be extended. I added 3 washers on the bottom two bolts and 5 on the upper. I still had to redrill the hole on the frame mount. Moved it up about 1 inch. Tomorrow will be an electric adventure. All wiring for the EFI and Hyperspark disti will get done. There is plenty of room in front of the engine to install an electric fan that will be controlled be the Holley EFI computer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No photos today. Just a simple update. Unwrapped the front end wiring and moved the alternator wiring to the pax side. No cutting needed. Parking brake wire separated from rest of loom and run back to original switch. Originally run with the starter wire set. starter wires separated and moved. No cutting needed. Starter also on pax side vs drivers for the 12j. Re-stabbed the Disti and mounted the Holley Sniper. Had to clearance an edge on the custom spacer for the throttle linkage.

Tested the ignition and turned over without issue. I still have to figure out which fuse is the fuse for the glow plugs so I can leave it in place but have it disabled. Always thinking about if the next owner and whether they have any to go back to original. So far the ONLY wire I cut was the end of the alternator plug that feeds the gauge.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last couple days I was busy with other stuff. Got a few little things done. EFI and Disti are all wired up. ECU is programmed. Disti is phased. Plug wires are cut, assembled, and installed. Still have power steering, fuel pump, and vacuum to brake booster to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the fuel pump and fuel lines run. Small challenge in that the fuel barbs on the tank are 1/4 inch and the Holley is 3/8. Bought a foot of 1/4 inch fuel line and a couple 1/4 to 3/8 barbs. Vacuum line for brake booster done. PCV done. Still have radiator and power steering to sort tomorrow. Drain plug on fuel tank still out. Will flush the tank one more.time before running the fuel pump. The system has two filters, one pre and one post pump. Pre is standard NAPA filter, post is a 10 micron filter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, got vacuum done. Fuel tank is clean and drain plug on. Added 6 gallons of gas. Disconnected the fuel input at the EFI and let it purge and old gas or diesel bits. Looked clean. Throttle cable installed. Went to test startup and did not have the engine ground on. Throttle cable got hot fast. Oops. Easy fix. Starter turns over nice.

The bad...no spark. Got on a call with Holley and we verified the wiring and power. Tested the Hyperspark box and coil. All is working, but not getting signal from the hall affect disti. Holley I as great in the trouble shooting process. Sending me a new Hyperspark disti. So probably waiting till the weekend before I can go for another start.

This will give me time to sort the cooling and power steering. Was supposed to get to them today, but spent way too much time checking and rechecking the wiring and setup.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So while I am waiting for the new disti. I cut down the original fan shroud. I purchased a 14 inch puller fan that I will mount to the opening. Ordered a relay and will drive it off the EFI sensor. Picked up a couple of radiator hoses and install Monday.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Upper and lower radiator hoses done. Air cleaner fitted. New oil pressure sensor and radiator temp sensor installed. Existing temp sensor wire extended to front of water neck. Still no other cut wiring! Used a male spade to the existing female and added about 24 inches if 14 gauge wire. Tomorrow I get my hydraulic banjo for the PS pump and will have it fitted. Cooling fan and relay come tomorrow as well and will be on. Disti comes Tuesday. Aaargh! Don't like waiting for stuff that should be good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Final update before engine startup. Found th correct banjo fitting for the power steering hose. Installed tonight. All radiator and heater core hoses done. Fan and Disti come tomorrow. Have wiring for the ECU controlled fan completed. Top off fluids and do a start!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Woohoo. Engine startup went perfect! Sounded good. Shut down quick. Now to get the radiator fan installed.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts