Defender Source Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
You need the Hi/Low shaft off the disco as well to attach the cable. I got mine from Headdamage so I'm not sure what year it was. Here's another idea, let me know if you can figure this one out lol.

Sean

·
Registered
563 Posts
This video from Robbie at Motech popped up on my Youtube searches, he talks about the 8L90 and a simple way to tune it and then goes so far in depth he might as well be speaking Russian lol. I find his videos interesting even though he does mostly Jeeps it's a similar application.

Sean

·
Registered
563 Posts
Got my rad fan from a C7 Corvette about $300CAD here's how it looks. 25.5"x15.5" not including the top tab that I'll cut off, actual shroud without mounts is 22.5" wide. 3.75" deep, actual fan assembly is 3", not sure how I'm going to cut this down yet. 600watts around 2800cfm from a 14" fan is pretty amazing.
So it was labeled as ACDelco on Rockauto but I was happy to see SPAL stamped on it.....great. There's three wires, looks like 8g power and ground and one micro sized signal wire, more good news. So if you have the E92 ECM Speartech will include the signal wire off the harness so the hardest part is finding a plug but I think I know where to get that, I'll look some more.
Another option is the $1000USD Derale kit and it doesn't work lol, hopefully this will lol.

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Got my rad fan from a C7 Corvette about $300CAD here's how it looks. 25.5"x15.5" not including the top tab that I'll cut off, actual shroud without mounts is 22.5" wide. 3.75" deep, actual fan assembly is 3", not sure how I'm going to cut this down yet. 600watts around 2800cfm from a 14" fan is pretty amazing.
So it was labeled as ACDelco on Rockauto but I was happy to see SPAL stamped on it.....great. There's three wires, looks like 8g power and ground and one micro sized signal wire, more good news. So if you have the E92 ECM Speartech will include the signal wire off the harness so the hardest part is finding a plug but I think I know where to get that, I'll look some more.
Another option is the $1000USD Derale kit and it doesn't work lol, hopefully this will lol.

Sean
That looks like a sweet solution!

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm a little stumped right now. I trimmed the rad fan down a bit to the flange, I might be able to get another 1/4-1/2" more but as I sit I need another 1-1 1/2", I know I just said that lol.

The only thing I can think of is moving the slam panel forward and then lengthening the hood so the hood pin lines up. Then I'd have to make a new grill panel as well. Doable but some major fabrication.

Moving the engine back at this time would be a lot more work and cost me a lot as well.

Any other ideas besides stretching it haha.

Thanks,
Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Most of the fans that I have seen the fan is right on the Rad. It looks like the fan is pretty far off the RAD. Maybe just make a differnt schroud or that fan wont be your baby :-(.....Moving the engine back, Moving mounts eng and tranfercase and new driveshafts? I bet you can sell your shafts, the rest is labor and time, right? Edit: I just looked up a spal fan, 3.50 deep. Your there now with this fan, hmm what the heck have the other defender guys been using Thats thiner than 3.50 ??

·
Registered
563 Posts
I was talking to Manny and his are2.44" thick. I'm gonna trim it down a bit more and actually get the rad in there mounted as far forward as I can. I think it might work, I was having a frustrating day yesterday with this and the throttle body lol. Gonna take a time out and go dirt biking today.

I tried out the Holley adapter and it was too far forward so I got the die grinder out and shaved the tab off the side and then went at the alternator a bit, pretty thick casting so I'm not worried about it. Got it to fit and then realized the belt is gonna hit now. Might have to add another idler pulley but that was enough for me to pack it up haha. I'll smooth it out so it looks better. Didn't want shavings in everything, the bag worked pretty good.

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Sorry about your tough day, frustrating for sure. Here is another option to give you some height.
&

I think you have cemented my thoughts on moving the engine back when I get to that point. I have to replace my foot boxes anyway, so perhaps I will just box the bottom off a little for the header clearance.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks, I’ll have to measure but that might do it.
I think an 1-1 1/2” would do it and not cause as much grief, if you could lower it slightly you’d be good to go but I’d worry about the knock sensor I think it is on the bottom.
Another option I was thinking was cutting a new accessory plate. Have the AC compressor down low and the alt shifted towards the passenger side. Gotta check clearance but that would make it easier to run the intake pipe.

Thanks again, more brains on this helps,
Sean

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I'm a little stumped right now. I trimmed the rad fan down a bit to the flange, I might be able to get another 1/4-1/2" more but as I sit I need another 1-1 1/2", I know I just said that lol.

The only thing I can think of is moving the slam panel forward and then lengthening the hood so the hood pin lines up. Then I'd have to make a new grill panel as well. Doable but some major fabrication.

Moving the engine back at this time would be a lot more work and cost me a lot as well.

Any other ideas besides stretching it haha.

Thanks,
Sean
Just a another silly idea, remove hood latch, build own frame for rad, move forward 1 inch or more.
use these latches instead . As i have not gotten to this part of my build maybe this is not going to help keep the grill from being pushed out. although that would seem to be the simplest solution. I... like you, dont always take the simplest path. stubborn that way.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm liking those, even if not for this. I watched the video and expected them to be $300, those are awesome. I was trying to figure out how to modify the slam panel and cutting the frame mounts off the cross member to get it forward, that would buy you about 2". I'm totally going to look closely at this next week but I get my little guy for the next 7 days so we're off to the mountains.

Thanks so much, it's a big help having another set of eyes.

Sean

41 - 60 of 60 Posts