Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I’m new to the forum. However owned a defender for many years. So as the topic suggests I’m doing a LT1 Gen V swap into my 2000 TD5 110 (LHD). This has been my daily driver And will be after the swap. Hence looking for advice or suggestions. Here is what I have in mind so far.

my engine is a GEN V LT1 from a 2015 corvette. With no accessories but the original water pump. The ECU and pedal is from the same engine.
The transmission - 6L80E 4x4

The accessories brackets I’m looking at are from ICT BILLETS - I used these in my 1971 firebird and they worked a treat with a great price and no hassle.

I have seen AC compressor mounted low without any issues On the defenders. Hence is it possible to keep it in stock position and move the alternator and power steering pump up.

I have two options for my harness
1) PSI CONVERSION
2) Swas Time - this guy has great experience on custom Gen v LT1 harness, including many LT1 swaps and great source of information

The adapter for the LT230 and all the engine mounts will come from Nick. - RW-Engineering
The gauges will be from Dakota Digital with can bus interface.

here are couple factor I foresee giving me some grief.

Anti-Lock Brake System Operation (ABS)
From my understand there are two units under the passenger seat 1) SLABS ECU which is the Brains behind all of the vehicle Anti-Lock Braking operations and also manages all of the Traction Control Operations of the vehicle. 2) The ECU which monitors various vehicle sensors and conditions and determines through a set of internal software controls, what is happening when you press the brake pedal.
would it possible to talk to the Gen v LT1 ECU? Or is there other options to keep my ABS

LT230 GEAR RATIO
my main purpose is comfort on long drives. Hence what gear ratio are people using. Ideally would love to be between 2000-2500rpm at 70mph.

thanking everyone in advance.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I used the Qwik Performance accessory brackets, good quality and fit. Speartech wiring harness and ECU program, Speed Engineering Headers-probably best fit you can find. I have the L83 truck engine but I bought an LT intake and throttlebody from the 6.2-supposed to give power increase and way lower for hood clearance, not sure how the corvette one sits??? PWM fuel pump from a Silverado, Speartech looked after the wiring and controller for me. Same DD gauges with the can bus interface. Just ordered Ron Davis radiator with inlet outlet both on drivers side for easier plumbing. Removed pump and plugged holes as it will hit the frame........I can't think of anything else of the top of my head.

I haven't focused on the engine yet as I want to get all my welding and bodywork done first but I think I have most of it figured out. Mines a 2001 300TDI but I didn't think I had ABS....now you got me wondering lol. I got a build thread going with lots of pictures so far. Trying to figure out which PWM fan(s) to use still.

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Sean Thanks for the information. I keep spear tech in mind for the harness. The corvette LT1 has the lower intake. My brackets will need to be different as the water pump pulley on my LT1 is completely in the opposite direction.

I didn’t think they made 300 TDI in 2001. ! - with my TD5 I have ABS and Traction Control. Hence wondering what to do there. 29E86B75-403B-45B8-A638-1157CA43AEA3.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
They changed to TD5 around 1998 for UK and EU markets but outside that they kept it around until about 2005/2006 or there about. It was a Euro emission thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts