Defender Source Forum banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Thanks, I think it ended up being 85 liters, I can't remember off hand.

Had a pretty busy week starting reassembly, takes longer than I expected figuring out where everything goes. I take a ton of pictures but I didn't take that many of the body removal as it seemed pretty straight forward, man was I wrong. I got a mounting "KIT" for the rear tub area only to find out I was missing some pieces and the new brackets weren't really close to the original, pretty poor quality, I ended up cleaning a bunch of my old parts and reusing them.

Got the ceramic coated exhaust back on while I was at it. Roof was a pretty big job but it seems to be in place now. Finally the doors, I was putting them off because I expected the worst. They're SP frames with the steel skins I put on. Looking back I should have fitted them as frames first because they took quite a bit of persuasion to fit. While I was at it I noticed my B pillar was bowed causing alignment issues, I think it's pretty good now.

The doors are pretty good now, I'm sure they'll need fine tuning after I paint or put any more pieces on. I figure I'll bolt on the gas pedal and it will throw the whole truck out of alignment lol. I was texting back and forth with Stealthsr71 who was doing his at the same time, it helped lighten the mood so I could kind of laugh about the frustration level. Not looking forward to doing the latches.

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
So are mine. Actually I bought the frames and skins separate cause I thought my frames were in better shape and I just wanted the steel skins. From what we could figure out is have the bulkhead at exactly 90 degrees and then door gaps should be 34.75" front and 30.5" rear. If you can get that then bending them is pretty easy. I did mine before paint so I wouldn't crack the paint bending them.

Sean

·
Registered
26 Posts
It seemed this was the appropriate thread for this Post as I’m doing an L83 with 6l80E swap. So my TD5 has ABS - this was great and wanted to keep this.
‘The good news is that the diagnostic connector for this is independent to ECM As it has its own ABS ECU, and the diagnostic software speaks to this pretty much indecently to ECM.
my dilemma is that, - there are couple of signals that the Engine Control Module (ECM) provides the ABS ECU to enable optimum TC performance. Inbthe diagram below C and D are input from ECM to the ABS ECU.

The ECM is connected to the ABS ECU as follows:

• The ECM provides the ABS ECU with pulsed voltage signal on a YK (D) wire. This signal informs the ABS ECU of engine speed. The ECM provides the ABS ECU with two voltage pulses per engine revolution.
this could be easier than the second - does anyone know what the pulse signal is and is it possible to generate this from the GM E92 somehow - what’s the voltage level and the time width of the pulse.

The next one is little complicated. - wondering if the ABS ECU would go into limbo if the following signal is absence.
  • The ECM provides the ABS ECU with a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal on an SP wire. This signal includes information on engine torque, engine throttle, engine type, and throttle type.
any help would be appreciated if anyone already worked this out.
‘thanks - Bal

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I don't have ABS on mine so I haven't looked into this. I'll copy it over to:

Sean

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
I’d try again on the other thread or even the gen 4 one for more input. I’ve just scratched the surface on my wiring plans and I don’t want to give bad info on something I haven’t completed myself. I’m still learning tons.

Sean

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’d try again on the other thread or even the gen 4 one for more input. I’ve just scratched the surface on my wiring plans and I don’t want to give bad info on something I haven’t completed myself. I’m still learning tons.

Sean
I’ll start a separate post as this maybe more relevant further down the road as new defenders with abs are imported.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I don't feel like I've made too much progress lately, with the weather getting nicer I've been out on the dirt bike and side by side taking a bit of a break. Been some head scratching lately over the engine, specifically the radiator and fan.

I did get the brake lines all run along with the MC and booster upgrade, built a bike rack that will fit when it eventually gets done. I spent a lot of time going over the doors filing away sharp corners and lumps of galvanizing and did a light skim coat of filler in a few places to smooth them out around the pinch seam. Finally got them painted and mounted but of course they needed some shims and the bolt kit bolts are too short even with one shim in there, going to have to search for longer ones.

I mocked up the front end and popped on the hood. There's no way my fan and radiator where going to fit in there so after a lot of contemplating Roadworn came up with the idea of hood latches. I'm going to remove the slam panel and cut out all the brackets which will give me at least 2 more inches. I cut my C7 Corvette PWM fan down some more so now it's about 3" thick, should be good and now I finally have some direction.

Got some pictures of the clearance under the hood with the LT1 intake manifold and throttle body, makes me wonder if the truck manifold would even fit. This manifold caused some more problems as the intake tube will hit the belt by about an inch. I've ordered some aluminum plate to build a new accessory mount bracket and move some things around. Not sure yet but it looks like I can drop the AC compressor down to the bottom and move the alternator outwards and down.

Sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Just FYI, we have the same brake MC. They rust quickly and I wish I painted or finished mine. I have a spare I will paint and swap in.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Thanks for the heads up, I still have to bench bleed it after I go over my axles and brakes.....could be a while, hope I don't forget lol.

Sean

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Well the nice weather came to an end yesterday with more rain so I got into the garage for the first time in a while. Focused on the radiator and fan trying to figure out how to build it, felt kinda stumped for a bit but then decided it is what it is and I have to make it work cause I paid about $2000 for it. I'm not sure what happened but Ron Davis was supposed to build to Nicks dimensions with the only change being inlet/outlet both on drivers side.....well it didn't fit into my cradle, not even close.

Sooooo, I figured out my dimensions up front and got busy starting from scratch. I'm getting rid of the slam panel so it would have to be structural as well. I went with 1/8" aluminum cause I always seem to have a sheet of it in my garage. My bender won't do that thick so I had to start by bending a few pieces with the torch and a hammer, tennis elbow anyone?

Started welding and I blew the water line in my Tig torch, $&*^%$. Out came the air cooled 17, feels like a monster and gets hot fast so I wasted a lot of time waiting for it to cool and couldn't seem to get comfortable with it lol. Oh well, most of the welds had to be sanded down anyway. So now it's done and I gotta figure out how to mount it......

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well the nice weather came to an end yesterday with more rain so I got into the garage for the first time in a while. Focused on the radiator and fan trying to figure out how to build it, felt kinda stumped for a bit but then decided it is what it is and I have to make it work cause I paid about $2000 for it. I'm not sure what happened but Ron Davis was supposed to build to Nicks dimensions with the only change being inlet/outlet both on drivers side.....well it didn't fit into my cradle, not even close.

Sooooo, I figured out my dimensions up front and got busy starting from scratch. I'm getting rid of the slam panel so it would have to be structural as well. I went with 1/8" aluminum cause I always seem to have a sheet of it in my garage. My bender won't do that thick so I had to start by bending a few pieces with the torch and a hammer, tennis elbow anyone?

Started welding and I blew the water line in my Tig torch, $&*^%$. Out came the air cooled 17, feels like a monster and gets hot fast so I wasted a lot of time waiting for it to cool and couldn't seem to get comfortable with it lol. Oh well, most of the welds had to be sanded down anyway. So now it's done and I gotta figure out how to mount it......

Sean

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Thanks.
I can't really say who had the wrong dimensions, Nick has a few on file apparently but Ron told me this was the latest and sounded right. I should have asked for the drawings to confirm it. Lesson learned.

Cutting time....

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks.
I can't really say who had the wrong dimensions, Nick has a few on file apparently but Ron told me this was the latest and sounded right. I should have asked for the drawings to confirm it. Lesson learned.

Cutting time....

Sean
When you have a moment, could you post the dimensions of your unit. Thanks

161 - 180 of 182 Posts