Defender Source Forum banner
241 - 260 of 297 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Todays science experiment was getting power door locks to run on relays instead of a control box. Although the poppers seem very strong I didn't want to replace a new control box if one of the relays in it dies so this way it would just be a quick relay swap. Got some sparks and heat on the first attempt but got it now. Going to try to figure out the same idea with power windows when they show up. Tested all the lighting and horn, very happy that's done.

Ran out of female terminals for my fuse box so I'm getting really far behind on terminating things, this is going to take some careful thinking lol.

Waiting on my switches still but the interior is almost done except for wrapping once everything is tested, gotta run seat heat relays, and door locks but I think that's about it. So right now I've got keyless entry, remote starter, alarm, push button ignition, A/C as well as the gauges and indicators, compass, air temp etc. Since wiring up Dakota Digital gauges I think they're worth every penny, so easy. Gonna have to decide on a stereo soon but with the space I have I think I'm stuck with the Alpine ilx w 650 because it's only about 2" deep.

I guess I'll get back to it and see if I can fish the wires for the dome light door switches. Not excited about this yet.

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Super nice job! So one relay for up and one for down? Thats interesting trying to isolate each of 4 windows? Is the keyless entry, remote starter, alarm, push button ignition, a package system? Are you using some sort of multi pin plug to seperate the body from the frame wiring , so that if you ever want to take the body off the frame you could easily? check this out Electric Parking Brake Kit | E-Stopp Corporation | United States.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
That would be cool but I don't think I have room for it lol. I used a Digital Guard Dog system but had to modify it a bit because I don't have a factory ignition. Took a few phone calls but I think it's all good and actually simplified a bit now.

I have a pair of SPAL electric window regulators that I'm not going to use but they have a diagram that might work out. My new regulators from Balls just showed up today and they look better than the Land Rover ones I was going to put up front, I just hope I don't BBQ them screwing around.

Are you flying yet?

Sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Oh yeah, I got a couple of these:

I'm just contemplating putting the second one in right now, running out of room. I'll burn it before I take it apart again hahaha!

Sean

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Just dawned on me, those relays in the diagram aren't doing squat lol. Been staring at the computer too much. The place I bought them from said they only draw 10-15amps and that relays aren't required, not sure if I should chance it but I guess I could always add relays after if they start to slow down. IDK.

Sean

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
This wiring is relentless. Spent the last two days leaning on my ribs on the fender or laying face down on my intake, needless to say my ribs feel bruised. I've been learning a ton about relays and different ways of wiring them up, out of the 23 relays I have, 7 are standard wiring. I decided to ditch my lock actuators and get the Dakota Digital ones that I'll run off two relays. Played around with the windows and decided I'm going to run all four windows on two relays each so I don't burn up my switches. Pretty satisfying seeing them work after so much research. I have some Defender electric front windows and some SPALs for the rear and decided to ditch all of them for some Balls power windows.

Pictures aren't too exciting, I had to stop pulling wires in the cab because my label machine ran out, just switch wiring left I think........I hope! Got all the door harnesses done which added quite a few more wires. Rear is done as well except for inside the door, just 4 wires. The main fuse box is almost done, gotta do some tidying up. 10 relays and 40 fuses and trying to make it accessible is a bit of a challenge keeping things neat. So many things are interconnected, I can't imagine it all going right the first try lol. Filled up one of the firewall plugs so I decided to pull it off and quadrouple check it with my notes and compare it to the outside. Just gotta figure out how to get the fan to come on and the engine to idle up when I turn on the AC, some days I wish I did an LS where all this stuff is already figured out.

Switches tomorrow I hope.

Sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
I tested out my wipers today. I have a switch with delay, slow, and slightly faster........can't seem to get the high speed setting hahahahhaha!

Sean

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Spent all day laying on my intake manifold wiring up the engine bay. Got one 60amp relay to go but I don't have a .375 socket for it. Also I got 3 more wires I have to run from the plug below the fuse box up for the stereo that's supposed to show up tomorrow but I wasn't sure what gauge to use yet, I think it's only a 10 amp fuse. Hopefully that's the last time I have to put the batteries in, I was crapping my pants holding the positive lead cable in my mouth while I was moving them into position. I need to find some better caps, the round ones I got aren't deep enough, maybe they'll be fine once I'm done working around in there.

Got the rad fan and AC all hoked up but realized Speartech didn't put any of the sensor wires to the ECM. It was pretty tough figuring out how to get the ECM to control the rad fan and idle up for the AC to work. Have to add 4 pins to the ECM and 3 relays to get everything to work together. All done now except the pressure sensor I'm waiting for.

Sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
I'm using a Dakota Digital VHX. I would have liked to use the round gauges everyone else uses but I was tempted by all the options this one has.

I haven't got it yet, I didn't want any fuel around while I'm doing electrical, maybe I'll do that next. Knowing the way I do things I'll probably have to cut out the rear crossmember or something to fit it lol. As close to the fuel pump as possible is best but I wouldn't lose sleep over an extra foot or so.

Sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Man, still wiring, I'm starting to really lose interest in it. All I got left is to hook up my ECM to my AC sensor (about 5 wires) but I still don't have the sensor plug yet. I want it to run stock so when you turn on the AC the ECM bumps the idle and turns on the fan, it also cuts the fan if you're going fast enough. Not much info on it but I've figured out how it works I think. I have to run the wires into the cab so I can't wrap that up either, it's driving me nuts being so close so I had to move on.
Felt like welding so I made my amp rack, welded an un-needed 8AN bung onto my gas tank as a just in case I need it for something kind of thing. I did an epoxy sealer on the inside of my tank just to give extra protection from any pinholes I might have gotten when I built it. I don't think I should because I welded inside and out but you never know. Had to add mounts for the stereo to the center console and then decided to paint anything that was ready to go.
I spent a lot of time trying to make my center console as good as I could only to come out and see that I didn't let the primer flash long enough and caused it to wrinkle. Sanded it all down and started again, hopefully get it painted tomorrow.
Waiting for the primer to dry I decided to mount my gas tank, no easy task by myself, I should've called my neighbor over. Managed to get it in with straps and a jack but it was still hard. I hope to never have to do that again. The one bolt that ties the tank straps together sucks to get on and tightened more than you could imagine.

Sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Yeah, the lulls one hits while waiting for the right parts! But your wiring looks tight. That fuel tank is bulletproof! It looks like you made a protective cradle for it too? And I feel you on mounting the fuel tank yourself...I did that once AND had to take it down when I had a leak at the fuel pump. Things are looking great though!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Man, still wiring, I'm starting to really lose interest in it. All I got left is to hook up my ECM to my AC sensor (about 5 wires) but I still don't have the sensor plug yet. I want it to run stock so when you turn on the AC the ECM bumps the idle and turns on the fan, it also cuts the fan if you're going fast enough. Not much info on it but I've figured out how it works I think. I have to run the wires into the cab so I can't wrap that up either, it's driving me nuts being so close so I had to move on.
Felt like welding so I made my amp rack, welded an un-needed 8AN bung onto my gas tank as a just in case I need it for something kind of thing. I did an epoxy sealer on the inside of my tank just to give extra protection from any pinholes I might have gotten when I built it. I don't think I should because I welded inside and out but you never know. Had to add mounts for the stereo to the center console and then decided to paint anything that was ready to go.
I spent a lot of time trying to make my center console as good as I could only to come out and see that I didn't let the primer flash long enough and caused it to wrinkle. Sanded it all down and started again, hopefully get it painted tomorrow.
Waiting for the primer to dry I decided to mount my gas tank, no easy task by myself, I should've called my neighbor over. Managed to get it in with straps and a jack but it was still hard. I hope to never have to do that again. The one bolt that ties the tank straps together sucks to get on and tightened more than you could imagine.

Sean
Would love to here specifices of the Aircon / ECM set up at some point. That sounds like the best setup, very factory like. DId the Speartech harness allocate for making that happen? Looking great. Cant wait for you to fire this thing up.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
No Speartech didn't have anything wired in, I'm not sure if they do that, everyone seems to just use a trinary switch but then you lose some of the functionality of the whole system. I don't want to mislead anyone until I confirm it works properly but so far I've come up with this:
You need a ground signal to command the ecu to control the compressor so I used Swaptime's Muscle Car Module for that signal. I got it for tap shift and tow/haul modes but this was a bonus for me and the easiest way.

On the X1 plug there's a few pins to add. Pin 32 is the AC compressor clutch relay control. So the relay gets this pin to 85 as a ground signal, 86 is 12v+ switched ign., 30 is power brought in by the AC system compressor power which is taken from 87 to the compressor clutch.

Pin 6- AC refrigerant pressure sensor signal
Pin 21-AC pressure sensor 5volt reference
Pin 22-AC refrigerant pressure sensor low reference

These are run to the high side AC line pressure sensor which replaces the trinary switch and also controls the PWM fan speed according to the pressure as well as the idle bump.........easy eh, lol. Next I think I'll have to play around with HPtuners to get it to work as I have no idea what they flashed in there. Also I don't have the stock variable compressor, I have a Sanden 702 so it will probably need some tweaking. My guess without looking at it yet is this would also work on the Gen 4 engines but I could be out to lunch.....

Sean

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Got my coolant tank in hopefully for the last time cause the bottom bolts are a real PIA now that there's wires back there. Did some more electrical stuff and somehow got on to fitting my third grill I decided to try out a while back. Took some major cutting to keep it from sticking out too far but got it in there and the winch actually fit with a little bit to spare. I got this cheap grill but I just can't do it, I'm going to have to find a nicer flat grill that I won't have to shave down.

Sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
I got tired of waiting for parts to finish the electrical so I moved on to some other stuff. I tore down all the bumpers, rocker guards and fender flares to take to line-x and decided I'd do a light skim coat and paint on the fender flares to smooth the outer radius. Figured I'd prime and paint them for protection while I was at it and that got me doing a bunch of other left overs like the grill surround etc. Got tired of looking at my shock tower Wok Boxes being so ugly so I slathered them in the rest of my body filler and got to sanding. Didn't do the best job cause I ran out of filler for a final skim coat so I just painted them as is and found some trim in my garage from something else. Mostly hidden anyway.

Just added a picture of the AC sensor I was talking about earlier as well.

Sean

Attachments

241 - 260 of 297 Posts