Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
This is one epic build. You are making the dream defender for sure, nice one. Your skills are amazingly superb. Are you a prof pilot? I am also thinking, hmm why is he not putting in air ride? I mean .. restomod and air ride are kind of a givin 馃槤Can you give some additional detail on the air con install?

Registered
Thanks for the compliment, grew up very poor so we had to do everything ourselves, now I'm just too cheap to pay anyone else to do it lol. I like solid axles and springs to bounce along all our potholes. Yep , been flying 737's for about 17 years now. Thousands of hours of ass time with ADHD gives me a lot of time to research stuff.

It seems like a pretty easy set-up, hook up two coolant lines and two refrigerant lines with a dryer and overpressure valve as well as a condenser. Kwikperformance sent me the compressor with the brackets and I got three controllers from Restomod. Can also be run by bluetooth if I go with the Ipad head unit but given how quickly that kind of tech changes I'm kinda second guessing that. I was worried about not having a fresh air intake and the windows fogging up in the winter but he assured me it won't. I would have gone with the Ministry of Defenders unit but with shipping and exchange it was about 3 times as much and I suspect the Restomod unit to be more powerful. Also gave me a place to mount dual batteries.

Sean
I'm just too cheap to pay anyone else to do it....... exactly. I am in that same boat. Iam a Pvt pilot I get the ADHD. I tour with bands and normally have hours of down time to reasearch stuff in nauseum, which sometimes just leads to not making any decision at all. Haha. But since my industry is completely shut down for what appears to be a months in the future I can only do projects that do no cost $$ and are labor items only for now. I agree with you about not using screens and blutooth stuff. Whatever I build will have buttons and switches that wont get forward teched out. Best Jonathan

Registered
Yeah I wish the engine was further back but I think the bulkhead foot wells might need some mods for the manifolds to clear then. I don't think you could go any lower without the driveshaft taking out the knock sensor (if that's what it is down there, I forget), I'm kinda worried about it as it sits because I haven't dropped it down to the bumpstops yet.

Sean
did you engine mount in the RW mount adaptor location or move the engine back a few inches? Sorry, reread and see you are at the standard location.

Registered
Started this yesterday, ordered three different pumps before I decided on my original Silverado pump. The Gen 5 engines have a PWM pump so no return line, it's modulated by the ECM and a big mystery in the Google world. After texting Manny (YankeeLandee) I got it straightened out what goes where. There's just the feed line and two plugs and I couldn't figure out what the other two lines were for except the EVAP system I thought. I confirmed this with Manny because these other two lines are connected to a roll over vent valve underneath which was confusing me.

I used 1/8"aluminum, kinda wanted stainless but I already had the aluminum. I also wanted more baffles but with the pump and sender I could've put a couple more small ones but I didn't think it was needed. I have one down the center for side to side movement. I don't think front to back with cause any problems. Of course one of my best welds will never be seen, it's on the bottom of the adapter ring lol. The gap got a little wide on the bottom left but it sure felt good after my fiasco of welding the baffle in. Trying to fit two arms and a head inside half the tank wasn't so cool, lots of blind welds there. Not to mention the heat coming out of that thing since I welded both the interior and exterior seams, I had the garage door open at 2 degrees outside and I was sweating like crazy.

Sean
Tank looks awsome. how many gallons?

Registered
Well the nice weather came to an end yesterday with more rain so I got into the garage for the first time in a while. Focused on the radiator and fan trying to figure out how to build it, felt kinda stumped for a bit but then decided it is what it is and I have to make it work cause I paid about $2000 for it. I'm not sure what happened but Ron Davis was supposed to build to Nicks dimensions with the only change being inlet/outlet both on drivers side.....well it didn't fit into my cradle, not even close.

Sooooo, I figured out my dimensions up front and got busy starting from scratch. I'm getting rid of the slam panel so it would have to be structural as well. I went with 1/8" aluminum cause I always seem to have a sheet of it in my garage. My bender won't do that thick so I had to start by bending a few pieces with the torch and a hammer, tennis elbow anyone?

Started welding and I blew the water line in my Tig torch, $&*^%$. Out came the air cooled 17, feels like a monster and gets hot fast so I wasted a lot of time waiting for it to cool and couldn't seem to get comfortable with it lol. Oh well, most of the welds had to be sanded down anyway. So now it's done and I gotta figure out how to mount it......

Sean

Registered
Thats an epic week of work, yikes! I think you have done really well with the rad problem. The front end looks great. adding the pully . Wow. That is probably the best take away for the L83 conversion. Aside from moving the engine back two inches, haha, unless your a brilliant metal worker like you. Nice one. So Lt1 intake with Lt1 throttle body plus holley adaptor. Add pully. Have you put a belt on it yet?

Registered
no work on it in a while, i have new doors and the engine and trans But have been working on our house. Hopefully over the winter i can get the engine in and start work on the rhd to lhd conversion. Your project keeps excited and motivated. super nice work.

Registered

Registered
No hurry,Iam weeks away from this part of my build, but when you have a chance would you post some closeups of the transfercase shifter install on the Tcase itself. You might consider Louvers on the hood. Heated air intake,raising engine temps seems to be a problem with these LS/LT engines.You deserve a break. things are looking fantastic.

Registered
Super nice job! So one relay for up and one for down? Thats interesting trying to isolate each of 4 windows? Is the keyless entry, remote starter, alarm, push button ignition, a package system? Are you using some sort of multi pin plug to seperate the body from the frame wiring , so that if you ever want to take the body off the frame you could easily? check this out Electric Parking Brake Kit | E-Stopp Corporation | United States.

Registered
Man, still wiring, I'm starting to really lose interest in it. All I got left is to hook up my ECM to my AC sensor (about 5 wires) but I still don't have the sensor plug yet. I want it to run stock so when you turn on the AC the ECM bumps the idle and turns on the fan, it also cuts the fan if you're going fast enough. Not much info on it but I've figured out how it works I think. I have to run the wires into the cab so I can't wrap that up either, it's driving me nuts being so close so I had to move on.
Felt like welding so I made my amp rack, welded an un-needed 8AN bung onto my gas tank as a just in case I need it for something kind of thing. I did an epoxy sealer on the inside of my tank just to give extra protection from any pinholes I might have gotten when I built it. I don't think I should because I welded inside and out but you never know. Had to add mounts for the stereo to the center console and then decided to paint anything that was ready to go.
I spent a lot of time trying to make my center console as good as I could only to come out and see that I didn't let the primer flash long enough and caused it to wrinkle. Sanded it all down and started again, hopefully get it painted tomorrow.
Waiting for the primer to dry I decided to mount my gas tank, no easy task by myself, I should've called my neighbor over. Managed to get it in with straps and a jack but it was still hard. I hope to never have to do that again. The one bolt that ties the tank straps together sucks to get on and tightened more than you could imagine.

Sean
Would love to here specifices of the Aircon / ECM set up at some point. That sounds like the best setup, very factory like. DId the Speartech harness allocate for making that happen? Looking great. Cant wait for you to fire this thing up.

Registered
Well summer is over here, getting cold out so it's back to my cave. Took a long break to enjoy the time with my 7 year old son motorbiking, camping, downhill mountainbiking, rock climbing and just having fun this summer. I took some time in the spring to build a toy hauler/camper, did a bunch of work on my Jeep and sanded it down for new paint. Got it up for sale now as I'm hoping to be driving the Defender soon.

Had a shipment from Rovers North that I dug into. Mounted the new adjustable track bar, new headlight buckets with some LED lights I decided to try out. Finishing up the engine bay, just need to find my plug for the EVAP purge valve then fuel lines, transmission cooler lines, and steering box hoses and I think that's it there.

Now I learned taking a 6 month break just before you complete a complete front to rear re-wire isn't the best idea lol. I had a digital Guard Dawg system with remote start/alarm/keyless entry/push button start all wired in and started testing everything. Turns out I had a bad module and it prevented me from being able to turn anything on. To say it was frustrating is an understatement. So, because I like to overreact times ten, I ripped the whole thing out. I didn't want to have to rely on some little module that could completely disable the whole truck, bad design.

Now I have a regular keyed ignition and went with a Viper system. Only problem with a Viper is they don't support DIY installers and won't provide any information on it but I think it's a way better system. There's about 50-60 wires coming off this thing and it took a lot of research before I think I have it all figured out using about half of them. Made a complete mess of my wiring, unbundling, pulling apart, rerouting, splicing, but I think I have all but one wire that I had to figure out again. Hopefully today I will power it up and test everything and wrap it all up.

Sean
I have push button start on my 71 corvette,Expensive one. its coming out. Same thing, got stranded a few times. Never again, going for KEYS!!

Registered
I wish I could find a nice dash mount ignition switch though, I got the Painless one which is probably the best I could find I just don't like the small key.

Sean
Totally agree. not much out there. probably just have to put a cover on the key..

Registered
Hi Sean, Well after a year, I may get to put this engine (L83) in over this winter. Iam looking at this bracket set
I like the idea of the PS pump being on top - easy to get to as well as less hoses and no remote res. Looking at your (amazing) rig it looks like it should fit.. whats your thoughts? looks like the PS pump would fit in where the A/C pump is on yours. Im still having A/C, but it would be in the lower position.

Registered
That's great to hear, I gotta get back to mine, I keep getting distracted. My intake hugs quite tightly to the AC compressor and just clears the hood but if you mount the engine back a couple of inches I think you could run the intake behind the headlight like the other member does, I think it was One-ten, I'd have to go back and find his picture in my thread here. Then you wouldn't have any concerns including the rad. I'd like to take a closer look and measure it but it's up on the lift with half my garage under it right now. I'll be back at it after Christmas if you're not in a hurry.

Sean
Thanks , not in a hurry. I will be pushing the engine back maybe 2 1/2. We will have to see where the headers land against the footwells. Im hopeful that will leave me lots of room for intake and fan access. happy holidays!

Registered
WOw.. What a ride.. Super happy you got it running! This write up is biblical for those of us Gen V builders. I will definitely reach out to mitch and send him some business.
Were the maf sttings incorrect from speartech? Incorrect meaning, is 150-300 factory? and some how they misprogrammed? I wont be gettimng my harness from them for a while, but would at least mention it to them before they ship it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts