Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Hmm. I spent a lot of time in '98 and early '99 at Nick's house helping Nick get his two Dormobiles ready for his first around the world trip (1999) and I do not remember seeing a Dormie that was red and had a galvanized radiator bulkhead, bulkhead and 'B' pillar. If he had one that nice he probably would have taken that one along with Alaska (1962 Dormie) on the trip instead of Hercules.

I remember that Nick purchased a Canadian Dormobile then later resold it in the United States.

The interior included reupholstered Dormatic seats and the top bunks but the rear furniture was missing. The drive train was a 90 hp Toyota Land Cruiser diesel, Milner adaptor to Series III gearbox, transfer case with Ashcroft high ratio gear kit going to a Salisbury rear diff.

Is this the same Dormobile????

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, this truck started out in Canada, was brought to CO by Patrick Kelly who was living in Colorado Springs at the time. Nick bought it from Patrick and got it moving ( sort of ) under its own power. I got it from Nick after he only had it for less than a year?

RW

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
No, this truck started out in Canada, was brought to CO by Patrick Kelly who was living in Colorado Springs at the time. Nick bought it from Patrick and got it moving ( sort of ) under its own power. I got it from Nick after he only had it for less than a year?
There was a period between his purchase of his first Dormobile, Alaska and the '99 Around the world trip when I thought Nick was trying to rescue every Dormobile in North America. I had only remembered one from Canada. Since he bought it from within the US I didn't associate it with Canada. At one point his house was full of rescued Dormobiles so the next one of them got delivered to my house because there wasn't space to add one more at his.

The events of his second around the world trip changed a lot of things.

Take care Russ,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.