Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im ripping into my Series 2A.... taking everything apart getting read for media blast, galvanziing, paint powder coat etc.

I want to galvanize the door frames. I noticed the skins on the front door tops are steel, and a bit tougher to pry off than the Aluminum skins on the rest of the door frames.

If i want to galvanize these door tops do i have to remove the skins first? No doubt there is some rust under them between the frame and the skins. Just wast sure what the standard procedure is here.

Any reason why these are steel and the others aluminum? Is that original or perhaps these were replaced once with cheaper steel versions?

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
yep - de skin the doors - and then take the frames to galvey bloke.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep - de skin the doors - and then take the frames to galvey bloke.
Are the skins on the door tops normally steel or do you think they have been replaced at one time? Thinking I'll bend new ones up out of aluminum

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The skins are aluminum. Its easier to carefully deskin them that it would be to make new ones.

if you want to keep it original looking galv is the way to go, but if you dont mind, then the Rocky mountain, or a set of ExMOD would be decent an alternative.

-Jeff
Ok - then these were deff replaced at one time. The rest of the skins are all alum but on both front doors the tops are skinned in steel

Doug - will the defender tops fit these doors? Those show 84-present. Truck is a 67 IIa

no need to buy new, the frames are in good shape. I'm going to be stripping and galvanizing alot of stuff so it would make sense to just "freshen" these up instead of replacing.

·
Premium Member
10,771 Posts
Ok - then these were deff replaced at one time. The rest of the skins are all alum but on both front doors the tops are skinned in steel Doug - will the defender tops fit these doors? Those show 84-present. Truck is a 67 IIa no need to buy new, the frames are in good shape. I'm going to be stripping and galvanizing alot of stuff so it would make sense to just "freshen" these up instead of replacing.
Yup they will.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I bougth the rocky mountain tops for my iia in 2011. One of my best purchases to date.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts