Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll be converting a 110 3 door hardtop to a soft top most likely using the full SD ST cage

I’ll likely order one from Badger but want to get it converted ASAP

Anyone have a good used option?

Or is there a near-Badger option I can source more quickly?

TIA

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks UD

My plan (today) is to use the SD cage with NAS style front legs- should have made that distinction

RN says top might require modification(?)

I need to check Exmoor but I’m thinking that one will need modification. Happy to do that as needed

IF anyone has a used top I can mod that would be great

If you mean the SD Heavy Duty hoop set

https://www.paddockspares.com/roll-cage-18.html

We have fitted those and used a readily available Exmoor top with it.

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
We have a New Old Stock Hoop set with a used Military Roll Bar for a 110 that has a new tail gate in white.
The new canvas's are tan: one full length, and a short cab.
This will not be at a low ball giveaway price, but cheaper than buying new and sourcing the military roll bar and all the parts separately.
Located in SE VA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Defender 110 (3 Door) Soft Top Options

Are there any 3 door Defender 110 Soft top options with side windows other than Exmoor or Badger. I really don't like how tiny the side windows are on the Exmoor (look at the 3 door 110 version on RN...windows are so small!)
I will hopefully end up with a Badger but the price and wait time are the biggest negatives.

I am hoping to hear of a great new option that I have never heard of!

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Thanks UD

My plan (today) is to use the SD cage with NAS style front legs- should have made that distinction

RN says top might require modification(?)

I need to check Exmoor but I’m thinking that one will need modification. Happy to do that as needed

IF anyone has a used top I can mod that would be great
I'm running the same roll cage(assuming you're referring to https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/rbl2507sss_safety_devices_safari_cage_d110_soft_top)

Exmoor makes a specific, pricey top for this cage. I haven't installed mine yet, but it's supposed to require no modification

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am also looking at the same SD cage (I think L250 on the website). Does the Exmoor top you are describing look any different from the standard one that is on RN (small side windows)?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I am also looking at the same SD cage (I think L250 on the website). Does the Exmoor top you are describing look any different from the standard one that is on RN (small side windows)?
Much different, it's shown in one of the last Alloy & Grit magazines.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I got mine through RN(I work there), however the windows do look small in the photo rolled up, I can't say I have seen photos of them rolled down. Hoping they're not too small

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Zack, if you don’t like the size any decent upholstery shop can install larger ones for pretty cheap usually.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
That escalated quickly (price $$)! So the Exmoor options (with side windows) are $700 or $3200!
Yeah price is a joke, I know. I work at RN and the cost was still absurd(more than a NAS soft top). Realistically it'd be closer to $2500, but it is a "bespoke" option which means custom made to order.

·
Premium Member
4,309 Posts
All wheel trim dude if you want a Canvas. I see @JBinNC18 are making a bunch of posts about engines, tops, ect.

Take along hard look at if this will be a Dd for you and where you live. I DDed my 200tdi 3 door 110 soft top in Ny for about seven years. Ski gear, gloves, hat was a REQUIREMENT when it was below 40 outside. Even if the heater was working at 100% and ai had a fume curtian.

Swapping tops from hard to soft or back is very expensive, so be sure on the type you want.

All whell trim can make a side window full lenght 110 top. I own it and it pretty much the same as the exmoor canvas type.

Badger or the exmoor stayfast or the allwheel trim mohair will all look better, seal air better, last longer and be much quieter but they are 3x the price. You also need to modify the truck with boat style twist snaps for them to work. its minor but should be accounted for.

If you want a roll cage on a soft top you will either need a heavy duty roll cage internal syle hoopset $$$ or a military internal roll bar modded into the standard hoopset. If you go with the HD hoopset it takes a special canvas.

For many many years i rolled around with a standard hoopset and a military roll bar. But in reality the military bar does not attach to the frame and is not a real safety mechanism. the HD hoopset only goes to the frame in the front to the truck, not the rear..again not ideal. Ill be putting on a custom made roll cage that will go "over" the existing standard hoopset and canvas for real protection.

the standard canvas if parked outside will last about 4-7 years depending on where you live .

The mohair/badger/stayfast 6-10 years if you are lucky

TLDR be 100% sure you want a soft top. I love mine but, it a whole different animal than a hard top truck.

Double edit: if you decide on the RHD truck , side windows are a requirement, you cant come onto a road and take a right without them

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great points. Luckily our climate is not too extreme. We have cold times in winter and hot during summer and lots of great breaks between the hottest/coldest days and fall/spring that call for soft/no top. This truck wont be a daily (garaged when not in use) but I will consistently be looking for reason to drive for fun...and no/soft top ups the fun factor. I have been looking hard at a couple trucks that I really like but trying not to get too carried away. Regarding topic in this thread, I am going to likely go with a badger or try the all wheel trim (the owner is out of office until 10/4!). Thank you all for the advice.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
All wheel trim dude if you want a Canvas. I see @JBinNC18 are making a bunch of posts about engines, tops, ect.

Take along hard look at if this will be a Dd for you and where you live. I DDed my 200tdi 3 door 110 soft top in Ny for about seven years. Ski gear, gloves, hat was a REQUIREMENT when it was below 40 outside. Even if the heater was working at 100% and ai had a fume curtian.

Swapping tops from hard to soft or back is very expensive, so be sure on the type you want.

All whell trim can make a side window full lenght 110 top. I own it and it pretty much the same as the exmoor canvas type.

Badger or the exmoor stayfast or the allwheel trim mohair will all look better, seal air better, last longer and be much quieter but they are 3x the price. You also need to modify the truck with boat style twist snaps for them to work. its minor but should be accounted for.

If you want a roll cage on a soft top you will either need a heavy duty roll cage internal syle hoopset $$$ or a military internal roll bar modded into the standard hoopset. If you go with the HD hoopset it takes a special canvas.

For many many years i rolled around with a standard hoopset and a military roll bar. But in reality the military bar does not attach to the frame and is not a real safety mechanism. the HD hoopset only goes to the frame in the front to the truck, not the rear..again not ideal. Ill be putting on a custom made roll cage that will go "over" the existing standard hoopset and canvas for real protection.

the standard canvas if parked outside will last about 4-7 years depending on where you live .

The mohair/badger/stayfast 6-10 years if you are lucky

TLDR be 100% sure you want a soft top. I love mine but, it a whole different animal than a hard top truck.

Double edit: if you decide on the RHD truck , side windows are a requirement, you cant come onto a road and take a right without them

My only comment on that is that the exmoor top I linked is setup for a belt rail, which is far more ideal(attractive) than snaps

1 - 20 of 23 Posts