Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start with I’m learning lots on my defender journey, I made a mistake and I’m sure to make more…..

So I bought a very nice fuel tank from series defender.
I also bought a very nice galvanized chassis from rovers north. The problem is not realizing when I bought the chassis that was for a steel tank, it meant pre puma model, and the fuel tank I bought was for a puma.
So, I realize the obvious, I could buy a tank that is made for my chassis. That would be the easiest solution, I’m not ready to do that. The steel series defender tank I bought is a 26.5 gallon tank, and that is going to feed my thirsty ls3, so I’d like to figure out a way to make it work.

here are some pictures of the frame and tank, it sure seems like it could bolt up pretty easily if I remove the bracket on the frame. Having not done this before, I’m not even sure how either tank is supposed to mount up. I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos and looked at a lot of diagrams and pictures.

so looking for ideas, recommendations, and pictures of existing installs folks are willing to share.
Please and thanks
- nate

· Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I think I have a game plan. Any feedback welcomed.
The yellow circles seem to line up on the frame to the yellow circles on the tank.
The red circles line up to the tank, but would need to be drilled all the way through the chassis, and they would match up to the tank circled in red. Then just cut off the blue circled mount from the frame? Does this seem like it would work?

· Registered
397 Posts
Hey, good job, sort of.

I put a jeep CJ five tank in the back of my Defender make sure that the top will clear the body make sure that your fuel lines will not interfere with the body. Make sure that when your suspension goes up and down that your differential does not hit the fuel tank, you will need to weld on some hard mounting points. Fuel tank weighs a lot when it has fuel in it.
Did you figure out how to run your fuel filler?

· Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Do you have a plan for a skid plate?
Post a picture of the bottom that shows the relationship of the bottom of the tank to the chassis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts