Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my fuel gauge, it is seemed to be a simple problem, but I could not get this solved yet. The fuel gauge is always full, when I disconnect the cable at the sender unit the gauge goes to empty. I already replaced the sender unit and the gauge itself but no luck, gauge always go to full when I turn the ignition on independent of the float position on the sender unit. The electrical diagram shows a “low fuel level unit” I believe the problem is there, but I could find this unit anywhere and even on the parts manual. Anyone had a similar problem?
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
10,194 Posts
Order a new sender.
Hook it up.
Move the float up and down and check the gauge.
If the reading changes, the sender is no longer providing a reading so you can install the new one.
If the gauge doesn't move, you have a gauge or wiring problem to fix and the means to test it with the new sender.

Reactions: LostChord

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts
Sounds like you are wiring the sender wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ill bet the wiring on the sender is wrong. take the sender apart again, there are 3 Plugs on the sender, one for a low fuel light, and then 2 that represent the Variable resistance of the gauge. im betting you have the low fuel light and the gauge backwards. on my 300tdi i dont have the light, so i have a blank space that is taken up by a blanking plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts