Defender Source Forum banner

Fuel Filler hose replacement

Tags
ac fuel
3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  WG_moots 
#1 ·
My fuel filler hose started leaking over the weekend. It looked to be the original 20years old, it was rotted and clearly beginning to disintegrate.

I had a new one sent over-night through the local LR dealership and started replacing it last night. Old one came off fairly easily and I manage to contain most of the fuel. However, it has been a pain in the a$$ getting the new hose back on.

The side connecting to the tank is easy. The side that slides into the filler neck has been almost impossible and it has a long overlap. It was about midnight, I was tired and sweaty, when I gave up. :banghead:

Any tips on how to get that very tight hose on? I got to the point where I can get it started but it just wont budge more than a centimeter of overlap. I hesitate to put anything for lubrication on the filler neck due to fear of contaminating my fuel.

It's frustrating when a seemingly "easy" job turns into a wrestling match.

#2 ·
soap and water

#5 ·
The correct lube to use is actually PET. If you don't have access to that use vaseline, which is also petroleum based, not a lot, just enough to make is slide easily. There is a DOW product for lubricating O rings that works well, but is hard to find. On the plus side, one tube lasts a lifetime.

#12 ·
Just to follow up on this. I ended up using vaseline, a hair dryer, and a neighbor with forearms twice the size of mine. We got it almost to the original overlap and called it a day.

thanks for all the tips ... I love but hate working on this thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.