Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel filler hose started leaking over the weekend. It looked to be the original 20years old, it was rotted and clearly beginning to disintegrate.

I had a new one sent over-night through the local LR dealership and started replacing it last night. Old one came off fairly easily and I manage to contain most of the fuel. However, it has been a pain in the a$$ getting the new hose back on.

The side connecting to the tank is easy. The side that slides into the filler neck has been almost impossible and it has a long overlap. It was about midnight, I was tired and sweaty, when I gave up. :banghead:

Any tips on how to get that very tight hose on? I got to the point where I can get it started but it just wont budge more than a centimeter of overlap. I hesitate to put anything for lubrication on the filler neck due to fear of contaminating my fuel.

It's frustrating when a seemingly "easy" job turns into a wrestling match.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
soap and water

·
Super Moderator
12,992 Posts
Use some engine oil or ATF for lube. That will be fine in the fuel. Water not so much.

·
Premium Member
10,768 Posts
Would warming up the recalcitrant end with a hair dryer to make it more "accepting" if the filler tube?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The correct lube to use is actually PET. If you don't have access to that use vaseline, which is also petroleum based, not a lot, just enough to make is slide easily. There is a DOW product for lubricating O rings that works well, but is hard to find. On the plus side, one tube lasts a lifetime.

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
The correct lube to use is actually PET. If you don't have access to that use vaseline, which is also petroleum based, not a lot, just enough to make is slide easily. There is a DOW product for lubricating O rings that works well, but is hard to find. On the plus side, one tube lasts a lifetime.
Yep...this ^^^^

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm going to try the Vaseline tonight along with fresh muscles and 106F heat index.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The one I use on aircraft is Dow 55, but looks like 33 if you hold it upside down.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
I have used WD 40 with success.....

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
If you have an air compressor use the rubber tip nozzle on the tight side and when the tank side get pressurized the tight side will vibrate and you can move it up. Used to do this to put on bicycle handlebar grips.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to follow up on this. I ended up using vaseline, a hair dryer, and a neighbor with forearms twice the size of mine. We got it almost to the original overlap and called it a day.

thanks for all the tips ... I love but hate working on this thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts