Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Good question. Also, does is need anything else for a transplant?
That depends on what it is replacing. I offer this advice to those that maybe be inexperienced. Be careful with how you approach a purchase of old parts. Even in a community like ours sometimes. I think its a good idea, assuming there are no warranties or guarantees, to identify the source making claims and make sure you do your due diligence to determine how high their IQ is with regard to the claims they are making. Ask them to share with you proof they have re the condition of the parts that are for sale. If you find the source's resume is undocumented and/or there is no proof re the actual condition of the parts then you should either be willing to throw caution to the wind and drive it or do a reasonable amount of due diligence on your own dime post purchase. Something as simple as a wobbly worn out turbo can set you back $500-600 and time or worn out splines on a transmission a $1,000 and time. While the engine is out is may be easier to check the bearings for excessive wear, do the major gaskets and seals( there's a lot of them to consider), the hard to get to freeze plugs, replace hoses and senders (air, coolant, oil). And then there's the fuel system with injection pump, injector tips, glow plugs. No doubt it can be a great project and you will learn a lot but it takes planning and resources if you're not the type that gets a kick out of throwing in something and waiting to see how things turn out down the road.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I would think with the time and money required to transplant that it may be worth rebuilding the entire motor to new condition...I would always be wondering if something is going to go pop and leave me stranded...and possible turn the engine into a paperweight (lots of paper)...even when I bought my D90 with 82k there were things I did prior to driving just for piece of mind...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That depends on what it is replacing. I offer this advice to those that maybe be inexperienced. Be careful with how you approach a purchase of old parts. Even in a community like ours sometimes. I think its a good idea, assuming there are no warranties or guarantees, to identify the source making claims and make sure you do your due diligence to determine how high their IQ is with regard to the claims they are making. Ask them to share with you proof they have re the condition of the parts that are for sale. If you find the source's resume is undocumented and/or there is no proof re the actual condition of the parts then you should either be willing to throw caution to the wind and drive it or do a reasonable amount of due diligence on your own dime post purchase. Something as simple as a wobbly worn out turbo can set you back $500-600 and time or worn out splines on a transmission a $1,000 and time. While the engine is out is may be easier to check the bearings for excessive wear, do the major gaskets and seals( there's a lot of them to consider), the hard to get to freeze plugs, replace hoses and senders (air, coolant, oil). And then there's the fuel system with injection pump, injector tips, glow plugs. No doubt it can be a great project and you will learn a lot but it takes planning and resources if you're not the type that gets a kick out of throwing in something and waiting to see how things turn out down the road.
Excellent advice. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not to familiar with the swap from a 109, I've done a 2.5Na to 200tdi swap with the help of some friends but i believe there is some extra work involved in dropping this into a series truck. Hopefully another thread on this forum could help you out with that.

Attached are some photos of the truck mid removal process in December.

Id welcome an inspection by anyone in the DFW area

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.