Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I have a NAS D90 in Mexico & am looking at options for replacing the front prop shaft. This piece from LR is retailing at $1,000 plus in the US.

What are my options? Are there other LR prop shafts or other manufacturers I can consider? Any chance the 2.2 liter diesel Defender down here uses the same prop shaft? Thank you. Sean

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Hello - I have a NAS D90 in Mexico & am looking at options for replacing the front prop shaft. This piece from LR is retailing at $1,000 plus in the US.

What are my options? Are there other LR prop shafts or other manufacturers I can consider? Any chance the 2.2 liter diesel Defender down here uses the same prop shaft? Thank you. Sean
a discovery 1 shaft is a solid shaft as opposed to hollow on a defender and a direct bolt in for your 90

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you - the Disco I prop shaft is also very expensive in the US. Is the Disco I the same in other parts of the world - can I get the Disco I prop shaft from the UK and expect it to fit as well?

Thanks again,

Sean

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
GBRUtah.com

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Tom Woods Driveshafts in Utah is a good option for a new shaft.

Unless your shaft is damaged beyond repair, there's no reason why you have to replace it. A good driveline shop can rebuild it locally for cheap and rebalance it no problemo. Your shaft should use 1310 U-joints, which are among the most common in the world and certainly available in Mexico.

Latin America practically invented recycling. I'm sure there's someone local who can square you away. A rebuild might cost $100-200 in the States but that's mostly labor. In Mexico, you should be able to get it done for far less.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Your shaft should use 1310 U-joints, which are among the most common in the world and certainly available in Mexico.
NAS D90's came with 1300 series u-joints.

2.938" cap to cap and 1.063" cap dia
Neapco 1-0005
Precision 344
GKN TVC100010 (I think)
Spicer 5-4x (NLA)

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
If anyone is looking at getting some Tom Woods product let me know via PM, I might be able to help you out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts