Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I realize this is Defender Source and this thread is about a RRC but I thought some here may enjoy following along with this 6-part YouTube series I'm rolling out. I'm just a car guy that loves Land Rovers and I'm doing a frame-off restoration of this RRC at home. I also own a 1997 NAS D90 and it's my baby.
If anyone feels my thread is mis-placed here, just let me know and I'll stand down. Otherwise, I hope some enjoy following along.
Here is the first of six episodes. Each will be just about 10-minutes in length. I will post subsequent episodes in future posts, at least weekly if not more often.
Paul

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
the nose of the camel into the tent.....

LOL!

I will watch because I really enjoy seeing how we all solve problems or how we have our shops set up and I learn from each an every one.

My weakness is electricity - the thought of the RR wiring harness is enough to make me hid under my bench....

Looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
Im afraid to watch this. I have a beloved rusty 1995 LWB that im trying to unload and the fear is you may inspire me to drag it back into the barn.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the nose of the camel into the tent.....

LOL!

I will watch because I really enjoy seeing how we all solve problems or how we have our shops set up and I learn from each an every one.

My weakness is electricity - the thought of the RR wiring harness is enough to make me hid under my bench....

Looking forward to it.
SIIA109, love your response. I agree about the voyeurism of seeing other shops and creative solutions!

·
Premium Member
7,301 Posts
Just swap all the Cornish Cream panels over to the black one. Only need to paint the subframe. Will save you tons. But if you're sticking with black...
You can save a little by sending the panels out to get done before the entire truck goes back together. Paint shops like it when it's blown apart rather than one thing.
You should also replace those coils with the original EAS. So much nicer.
My RRC days are over for the time being. Well, except for the Suffix A ha ha ha. I gave all my RRC stuff to my friend Rob Bass including a ton of switches and trim. If you need anything we can probably get you set up including several good EAS and one or two good memory seat ECUs.

Reactions: pprideaux

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I too look for ward to watching your restoration.

Might want to read a few psychology books on how the English logic works different from most when it comes to building trucks; I mean REALLY different.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is great. Looks like you're in a good starting point with two solid trucks. Nice shop too! Looking forward to more videos.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is episode 2 from the 6-part series. As of this post, the restoration is still on-going. I haven't created all the episodes and I'll switch to releasing one video each week going forward. Enjoy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Here is episode 2 from the 6-part series. As of this post, the restoration is still on-going. I haven't created all the episodes and I'll switch to releasing one video each week going forward. Enjoy.
Workmansip is professional while shop is outstanding - all necessary when moving from Land Rovers to Range Rovers.

I am envious. Thank you again for the posts.

·
Premium Member
7,301 Posts
The mystery of the footwell rust continues. Still unsure if it's coming from above (window surround) or below (stupid lap welded panel) but there it is. The original insulation matting with the carpet underlayment is perfect mulch for holding water. They literally never dry out. When you get to the point of replacing that garbage, the best plan is to just skip it all together. If you must, then try something like an open mesh like is used under boat cushions or a closed cell PVC foam that won't suck up water.
The molded carpets are 100% wool mohair, so you can clean those like they do at the oriental rug places which is to say you lay them out and take a power washer to 'em. They can easily be re dyed back to color or you can change to whatever you like.
So many aspects to this build. Heater box, always fun. Memory seats and mirrors. Tailgate. That infamous headliner and the sunroof. EAS. The seat heaters. It's like the actual stuff that makes it go and stop are almost secondary to all the other things that make it a Range Rover. I mean I was never let down except through my own negligence.
The only time one blew up on me was because I ignored the warnings for too long and it just let go on me (heater core exploded due to blown head gasket. I knew it was bad but kept using it thinking I'd get around to fining it soon ha ha)
And there was the fire, but that was sorta my fault too. The transmission was leaking and I didn't do anything about repairing it. One day it gushed enough on the exhaust pipe to start a small blaze which crept into the engine bay and behind the dash. All I could do was watch as it burned up. I have been through 6 daily drivers over the last 15 years.
That's one reason I moved on. My current LWB needed way more time love and money than I was willing to give, considering that I have two MGs, three Series 2A, and a 71 Range Rover Suffix A two door, a couple Hyundais and a f350 dually to keep my wallet busy. I though I would always drive a LWB but it was time to part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bill, what a story! You have two MGs, three Series 2A, and a 71 Range Rover Suffix A two door! Now THAT's the definition of a glutton for punishment! Lucas!
Thanks for your wisdom about the floor material. I'm about 2-weeks from putting it back or not putting it back. I thought about doing Dynamat below carpet but I was wondering if it would make the carpet ill-fitting since the dynamat is a lot thinner than the hateful stock stuff. I'll admit that I'm curious about your idea about marine material or closed cell foam idea. Hmmm. Before I put any carpet back I planned to drive it around for a while. If I can't find hard rain, I'll go through one of those jet car washes and see what happens. :)

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
The mystery of the footwell rust continues. Still unsure if it's coming from above (window surround) or below (stupid lap welded panel) but there it is. The original insulation matting with the carpet underlayment is perfect mulch for holding water. They literally never dry out. When you get to the point of replacing that garbage, the best plan is to just skip it all together. If you must, then try something like an open mesh like is used under boat cushions or a closed cell PVC foam that won't suck up water.
The molded carpets are 100% wool mohair, so you can clean those like they do at the oriental rug places which is to say you lay them out and take a power washer to 'em. They can easily be re dyed back to color or you can change to whatever you like.
So many aspects to this build. Heater box, always fun. Memory seats and mirrors. Tailgate. That infamous headliner and the sunroof. EAS. The seat heaters. It's like the actual stuff that makes it go and stop are almost secondary to all the other things that make it a Range Rover. I mean I was never let down except through my own negligence.
The only time one blew up on me was because I ignored the warnings for too long and it just let go on me (heater core exploded due to blown head gasket. I knew it was bad but kept using it thinking I'd get around to fining it soon ha ha)
And there was the fire, but that was sorta my fault too. The transmission was leaking and I didn't do anything about repairing it. One day it gushed enough on the exhaust pipe to start a small blaze which crept into the engine bay and behind the dash. All I could do was watch as it burned up. I have been through 6 daily drivers over the last 15 years.
That's one reason I moved on. My current LWB needed way more time love and money than I was willing to give, considering that I have two MGs, three Series 2A, and a 71 Range Rover Suffix A two door, a couple Hyundais and a f350 dually to keep my wallet busy. I though I would always drive a LWB but it was time to part.
A 1971 RR 2-door. I gotta have a picture, please. Lost out on a '71 Bahama Gold 2-door in Wales 4 years ago (while I was in Scotland); one of those regrets which grows.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts