Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What real world experiences do people have swapping out the injectors for Ford injectors?
  • Any improvement in performance?
  • Any improvement in MPG?
  • Which model injector did you use?
  • Where did you source them?
thanks

·
Premium Member
10,293 Posts
Which specific Ford injector into which specific engine?

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going in to a 4.6, but I'd like to know which model(s) people have successfully used.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
A early 90's Mustang stock 5.0 injector (yellow top I believe) would work fine. The flow rate is 19lb/hr which will support up to about 295 hp. I've not done this yet but am leaning this way for a 4.0 build and a 2.8 SC'd L6 going into my 240Z.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Also yellow Bosch gen 3 injectors used in the later Volvos are a perfect fit. Bosch P/N 0280155746. Easy to find at the junkyard.

Fits:

1995 850 Non-Turbo with Automatic Transmission and Motronic Fuel System
1996-1997 850 Non-Turbo with Emissions Code 1, 3 ,4 or 5 (The emission code is the 8th digit in the VIN)
1998 S70 Non-Turbo
1998 V70 Non-Turbo
1994-1997 960
1997-1998 S90
1997-1998 V90

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Awww, gen 3 injectors should work better with the multi-nozzle design vs the single pintle. I'll have to investigate that too.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Remember we are dealing with a bank fired EFI system here. Probably no more efficient than a carb.
Probably not a idle but off-idle might be a bit different. Anything to improve performance/economy is a plus. Cost are comparable so go with the later design.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Better fuel atomisation with the gen 3 injectors versus the earlier single pintle ones. On my "upgrade" list as soon as I get a few more injectors on my next junkyard run. Will probably make a bigger difference with my truck since it's a SFI GEMS injection versus the earlier batch fired 14CUX injection.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
I put some into my v8 and really couldn't tell a different. I imagine the spray pattern is better and everything else is better but performance felt the same.

·
Premium Member
7,157 Posts
Zero difference on all counts except they can be had for a few bux.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bill. Do you say that because the difference in the injectors is minimal or because the standard rover v8 can't leverage any improvement from the ford injectors?

·
Premium Member
7,157 Posts
Thanks Bill. Do you say that because the difference in the injectors is minimal or because the standard rover v8 can't leverage any improvement from the ford injectors?
I say that because the ECU's fuel management lut is burned into the PROM. It will adjust injector bandwidth to meet that. You can't improve performance by basically changing nothing.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
From my experience in the tuner world: It's unlikely to do anything unless you've done something to increase the amount of air going into engine. Or increasing the compression ratio to get more out of the fuel.

Ever thought about a turbo or nitrous? :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts