Defender Source Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Might be worth clarifying this, did you use a new chassis or did you extend the 90 chassis?

Great truck btw, good luck with the sale. That front end is 馃憣
Good point, just clarified above. The chassis is from a 2nd donor vehicle - an ex-military Canadian D110.

Registered
Man, a lot of odd comments on this one IMO.

I don鈥檛 think the OP stated or meant to imply this is a NAS 110. His opening sentence is clear on that point.

The truck is what it is...a 110 converted from NAS 90 VIN. You don鈥檛 have to agree with the owner鈥檚 engine choice, the manual transmission, the lack of a roll bar, or any other aspect of it.

It鈥檚 his build, done the way he/the builder wanted it.

I can鈥檛 comment on the SEMA or magazine articles. It鈥檚 distant history, not overly relevant at this point.

I don鈥檛 know the owner or the truck. I have zero connection to the sale.
Very nice looking truck - as an OBD2 vehicle, I would have issues getting this through emissions in my part of the country.

Registered
I don't have a horse in this one, but am suggesting that everyone will put the build into context: 14 years ago, an NAS title was worth a lot more than Bitcoin, diamonds, gold... I recall a 'legit' NAS VIN trading in the $20ks; the earliest 110s were still a couple of years out from being eligible for import; and - as the seller noted - living in England in the early 2000s, you were surrounded by 'modern' Defender 110s that were (are) painted in Bonatti Grey, powered by TD5s, and had alloy wheels.

I can see why the seller chose the trim. Especially when surrounded by non-NAS (i.e. safari cage) Defenders all day.

Registered
Definitely restored, and like most Defs, a resto mod. The controversy is what it did to the value compared to a resto to original NAS spec. It's not really possible to "restore" a 90 to original spec as a 110. Any way you do it, you still have a 90 title. Owner ended up with a 110 truck speced like he wanted. (I consider it a plus that it's all Land Rover catalog pieces, even the color, and high end accessories.) To most of us, that's more important than resale value. Market will decide the correct price.

Registered
Which rear diff? Rear discs?
The original listing was clear and not misleading.
Do the 285 tires rub against the panhard bars at full lock?

Registered
Haven't seen anyone modify an NAS 110 that way.
I know Jims isn't the only one, and I'm doing it to mine.

Registered
I know Jims isn't the only one, and I'm doing it to mine.

Entire bulkhead was replaced with new Td5 unit which included working vents. I guess you could call that installation of vents on an NAS 110, but I'd call it bulkhead replacement.

Registered
in that case be sure to follow my thread on nas-row.

I never said "converted", i said "installation of", so yes - you are picking nits. But that's cool, you do you.
Bulkhead replacement is a pretty common practice of which I'm well aware. Would be an obvious opportunity to rectify the NAS 110's worst feature (along with the in dash-air). However, what would interest me is how someone would take an NAS 110 bulkhead and install the vents. Would involve more than simple parts replacement. I looked for the thread you mentioned, but it's not listed under discussions in your profile. May I assume that your build involved installation of vents in an NAS 110 bulkhead? If so, would you kindly lmk how I may find the build thread? I searched NAS-ROW under your user name and found nothing. Otherwise, I've pretty much got the concept, thanks.

Registered
Bulkhead replacement is a pretty common practice of which I'm well aware. Would be an obvious opportunity to rectify the NAS 110's worst feature (along with the in dash-air). However, what would interest me is how someone would take an NAS 110 bulkhead and install the vents. Would involve more than simple parts replacement. I looked for the thread you mentioned, but it's not listed under discussions in your profile. May I assume that your build involved installation of vents in an NAS 110 bulkhead? If so, would you kindly lmk how I may find the build thread? I searched NAS-ROW under your user name and found nothing. Otherwise, I've pretty much got the concept, thanks.
Taking off-thread to DM.

Premium Member
Good point, just clarified above. The chassis is from a 2nd donor vehicle - an ex-military Canadian D110.
In most states using the 110 frame would make it the year/model of the 110 not the 90. You might want to have interested buyers check their state's laws.

Premium Member
In most states using the 110 frame would make it the year/model of the 110 not the 90.
That鈥檚 a pretty strong claim. Do you have evidence to support it? If not, you鈥檙e just spreading misinformation on someone else鈥檚 for sale thread.

just follow Doug鈥檚 advice: 鈥淚f you are an interested buyer and have questions contact the seller. Walking all over the mans for sale thread is bad form.鈥

Premium Member
That鈥檚 a pretty strong claim. Do you have evidence to support it? If not, you鈥檙e just spreading misinformation on someone else鈥檚 for sale thread.

just follow Doug鈥檚 advice: 鈥淚f you are an interested buyer and have questions contact the seller. Walking all over the mans for sale thread is bad form.鈥
I've been doing VIN verifications in California for 20 years. I can only speak for this state and others I know of (which is why I said it would be prudent for someone spending this much money to check locally), but for most states I know of the frame VIN is king. Titles follow the frame when a car is parted out, not the bulkhead or dash "public" VIN. I was asked to help out with what was titled as a salvage 97 NAS 90 at a local Honda dealership about 10 years ago. It was rebuilt with the frame off a 95, body and running gear off a 97. Had to get a lot cleared up, but the CHP eventually blue tagged the body to match the frame VIN and it was titled as a 95. Look up Boyd Coddington, that was one of the things that got him in trouble out here.

Premium Member
Actually not. I've never seen someone convert an NAS 110 bulkhead to give it working vents. Still haven't.
I have. Or at least the seller said it was an NAS 110 bulkhead when he sold it to me. And given when I bought it and it had solid vents spaces I have no reason to think otherwise.

It was a fair bit of work. Cut the vents holes proud and form a lip all the way around with the extra metal. Then I had to make the vent flap brackets from scratch and weld them on. Tons more fabrication work with new foot panels and other things but there were no fairly priced options at the time. With present day options it makes way more sense to buy a open vent bulkhead. (I should have some pictures of it on my old build thread on D-90.com)

To the OP thread - beautiful 110! I love the color and the build (and the vents!). IMO - with the NAS vin you could change it as needed if needed. 300tdi giving a problem registering it then swap in a 3.9. Want that NAS 110 look then a cage can be added.
The right foundation is there with a new and clean build in a great color. GLWTS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
The truck is beautiful, but I think the critical comments came from people expecting to see an ad for a NAS Defender which were instead presented with a RoW-spec 110 that happens to have a NAS 90 VIN and title. If I was selling it I would put a California legal engine into it to increase the buyer pool. The removal of the cage also makes it no longer able to meet US safety standards. RoW trucks can do without them because they were imported under the 25 year exemption, but they cannot be legally removed from a NAS truck which were imported under that requirement. 50 state legal is part of what makes NAS trucks desirable.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts