Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frame off restoration of a US market 1997 Land Rover Defender 90; transformed into a Defender 110. Restoration was completed in 2007 with additional upgrades made again in 2020. Award winning truck earning Motor Trend's Top 25 Trucks and EcoZome Magazine's Top 5 Sexy Vehicles awards at the 2009 SEMA show (truck was on display at SEMA, presented by Pangaea Expeditions). Donor chassis from an ex-military Defender and has been galvanized for lifetime durability. Built to honor the classic Land Rover specifications that you would select for a proper safari or your next offroading adventure.

Asking $119k or best offer. Vehicle is located in Austin TX.

Features include:
  • NAS titled Land Rover Defender
  • 300 Tdi engine and R380 transmission
  • VGT turbo upgrade kit
  • Galvanized chassis (ex-military grade chassis), galvanized front shock towers
  • Upgraded stainless steel door hinges and hardware
  • Brownchurch camel trophy style front brush guard
  • Rovers North front bumper with winch mount
  • 10k lb Husky Superwinch with Viking synthetic winchline
  • Melville & Moon seat covers - imported from South Africa
  • Surround sound stereo with low profile subwoofer
  • Upgraded center dash panel with rocket switches
  • Mantec snorkel
  • Mantec spare tire carrier
  • Land Rover alloy wheels
  • Goodyear Wrangler tires (285/75 R16) (less than 1k miles on the tires)
  • OME HD suspension (shocks & springs)
  • Voyager roof rack
  • Custom rear ladder
  • Hella IPF lights (four total)
  • Rear work light mounted to roof rack
  • Rock sliders by Rover Tracks
  • NAS rear bumper
  • Tie rod by Rover Tracks
  • Tuffy box center console
  • Tinted windows from B pillar to back
  • Dynamat sound reduction (it is a Defender, manage noise expectations accordingly)
  • Defender rubber floormats throughout
  • VDO gauges
I have owned this truck for 16 years and I am sad to sell it but I just don't drive it often enough.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I can vouch for the truck and seller. I’ve known Dustin for >10 years; he’s as honest as they come. Wouldn’t hesitate to drive this to Ushuaia and back. Wish I could afford it!

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Beautiful! Good luck with the sale, wish I had the loot.

·
Mendicant
8,377 Posts
A NAS 90 cage will not fit in a 110, period. The hoop behind the seats is entirely different. The only thing you could do is use the exterior of the NAS cage as a non-functional styling bar over the windshield and front doors. Shorty of installing a full 110 cage, this is better. The builder made the right choice.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
No, this was a NAS 90 that was converted to a 110, not a 1993 NAS 110.
Yea. This looks like a very nice rig, but is in no way a " fully restored NAS Defender 110" IMO. Restored = returned to original condition; e.g., as it rolled out of the factory. Instead, it's a very nice SEMA show rig. Better in many ways than a factory-original. I think that's a different market from those looking for a fully restored specimen.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Missing the roll cage?
Yea. This looks like a very nice rig, but is in no way a " fully restored NAS Defender 110" IMO. Restored = returned to original condition; e.g., as it rolled out of the factory. Instead, it's a very nice SEMA show rig. Better in many ways than a factory-original. I think that's a different market from those looking for a fully restored specimen.
I believe the installation of a $2500 roll cage could make a huge impact on the value / market acceptance of this vehicle.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Really the only part of this that is uniquely NAS 90 is the title, and maybe the hitch step bumper and the wheels. A/c is missing. Unlike an NAS 110, the bulkhead fresh air vents are still there. I'd rather have that than a roll cage. This isn't the first NAS 90 to be converted into a 110. Idk what the value of an NAS title is, but I'd guess something more than nothing. Even with the roll cage, this still wouldn't be an NAS 110, but closer to NAS spec. The SEMA award has more value to me than the NAS title. Since it's titled as an NAS 90 that has to be in the description. It's an NAS and it's a 110 but not to NAS spec and is not an actual NAS 110. For what I look for in a Defender, this looks like a great truck. When someone pays high dollar, they need to get a good 'un.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Eco-zone Magazine? - I having a hard time finding that magazine - I'm also find it hard to believe anything with "eco" in it would award a diesel Defender anything-LOL.

Didn't all the '97's have automatic and A/C as standard and in Texas you removed the A/C - that is "brave". In this day in age (I understand this is an older rebuilt) where everyone is dropping in a LS series motors into these what was the thinking with replacing the 4.0L with the 300Tdi (this complicates the VIN and the NAS value)?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
The truck is very pretty but also has a pretty serious identity crisis.
Try BaT, you might get close to your asking price and the winner won't know (or care) that they bought a 90 but got a 110, with a diesel engine, built to non NAS spec...

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Eco-zone Magazine? - I having a hard time finding that magazine - I'm also find it hard to believe anything with "eco" in it would award a diesel Defender anything-LOL.

Didn't all the '97's have automatic and A/C as standard and in Texas you removed the A/C - that is "brave". In this day in age (I understand this is an older rebuilt) where everyone is dropping in a LS series motors into these what was the thinking with replacing the 4.0L with the 300Tdi (this complicates the VIN and the NAS value)?
Why a 300 Tdi over the 4.0? How about simplicity and range for starters?

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
The truck is very pretty but also has a pretty serious identity crisis.
Why? The best thing about defenders is the ability to rebuild with any combination of parts to make the vehicle uniquely yours. Such as your 2.8-powered 90, for example. Or is your truck no longer a NAS 90 simply because you’ve performed an engine swap? We all know the NAS title adds value, in the eyes of enthusiasts and insurance companies alike.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Man, a lot of odd comments on this one IMO.

I don’t think the OP stated or meant to imply this is a NAS 110. His opening sentence is clear on that point.

The truck is what it is...a 110 converted from NAS 90 VIN. You don’t have to agree with the owner’s engine choice, the manual transmission, the lack of a roll bar, or any other aspect of it.

It’s his build, done the way he/the builder wanted it.

I can’t comment on the SEMA or magazine articles. It’s distant history, not overly relevant at this point.

I don’t know the owner or the truck. I have zero connection to the sale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Wow, lots of posts here. I need to check this more often! I appreciate all of the comments. I updated the title of this posting, per requests above, in order to avoid any confusion. I am trying to be clear on what this truck is and what it is not. ionfender is 100% correct - - > I built the truck the way that I wanted my Defender to be. It is similar to a Defender 110 that I saw when I was living in the UK in 1999 / 2000 and I tried to build it to match. For clarity to anyone reading this post, we took the truck down to a raw chassis, galvanized the chassis and shock towers and then built it back, part by part. (Note - we had a donor ex-military Canadian D110 that served as the chassis donor so we technically took down two Defenders to the chassis. Thus, the chassis is an original 110 size, not an extended 90.) At the risk of sounding defensive, I think that counts as 'fully restored'. I could be wrong but I don't believe that term implies 'factory original / match'. We replaced all the hardware with new, painted every panel both sides and carefully put this truck together. Now, that was in 2004 / 2005 so it is no longer a perfect truck but it is still in great shape.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Wow, lots of posts here. I need to check this more often! I appreciate all of the comments. I updated the title of this posting, per requests above, in order to avoid any confusion. I am trying to be clear on what this truck is and what it is not. ionfender is 100% correct - - > I built the truck the way that I wanted my Defender to be. It is similar to a Defender 110 that I saw when I was living in the UK in 1999 / 2000 and I tried to build it to match. For clarity to anyone reading this post, we took the truck down to a raw chassis, galvanized the chassis and shock towers and then built it back, part by part. At the risk of sounding defensive, I think that counts as 'fully restored'. I could be wrong but I don't believe that term implies 'factory original / match'. We replaced all the hardware with new, painted every panel both sides and carefully put this truck together. Now, that was in 2004 / 2005 so it is no longer a perfect truck but it is still in great shape.
Might be worth clarifying this, did you use a new chassis or did you extend the 90 chassis?

Great truck btw, good luck with the sale. That front end is 👌

1 - 20 of 43 Posts