Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I just bought my first Defender. It's a White 94 NAS D90. It has the stock 3.9 V8 with 93,000 miles.

This is probably a ridiculous question for the experienced Defender owner, but I need to ask.

I live in the upper Midwest where just about all of our Regular Unleaded and Mid-Grade gas has up to 10% ethanol. I've heard it is advisable to keep ethanol out of these engines if possible.

Would appreciate your opinion on the importance of running these engines ethanol free. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Hi folks,

I just bought my first Defender. It's a White 94 NAS D90. It has the stock 3.9 V8 with 93,000 miles.

This is probably a ridiculous question for the experienced Defender owner, but I need to ask.

I live in the upper Midwest where just about all of our Regular Unleaded and Mid-Grade gas has up to 10% ethanol. I've heard it is advisable to keep ethanol out of these engines if possible.

Would appreciate your opinion on the importance of running these engines ethanol free. Thanks in advance!
Congrats on the purchase! The consensus from this crowd would be to tear out the V8 and slap in a Turbo Diesel. OR you could buy years of premium for the same cost. If you can find non-ethanol, bonus.

·
Premium Member
94 D90 #614 | 14 L405 SC
1,554 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! The consensus from this crowd would be to tear out the V8 and slap in a Turbo Diesel. OR you could buy years of premium for the same cost. If you can find non-ethanol, bonus.
Never actually heard anyone have any ethanol related issues. When I didn't have my timing slightly advanced, truck ran just fine on regular 87 in the north east. I wouldn't worry about it and just have a good time with the truck.

Why would you tell him to rip out the V8 and put a tdi in? Weird.

·
Premium Member
8,027 Posts
Use a conditioner with the ethanol if you want. I doubt there are any guarantees at this stage though. I've driven NAS 90's as daily drivers since my first purchased in 1997. I've never used premium but I do get occasional check eng lights and I've had to replace o2's and cats once years ago. I have no idea if it was a result of running fuel with ethanol or non premium.

·
Premium Member
7,851 Posts
Shell V-power has always worked the best for me, I've bumped timing up a little. They do just fine on regular. As with any vehicle avoid the cut rate fuel and ethanol

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Fuel choice will be the last of your worries once it starts demanding attention.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
In 18 years of Defender ownership I've never had any fuel related problem and use 99.9% of the time regular with whatever Ethanol mixes that tend to come w/ it in the NE USA. I did briefly(94-99 & then 04-08) use some LR branded fuel additive thing ( I think EE stocked it) but never really appreciated a difference.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm surprised (and pleased) that it sounds like regular with some ethanol will work. Great to know.

Additional thoughts from anyone are of course appreciated.

WeBeCinYa - I appreciate the beauty of the diesel in these machines, but I've only had this truck for two days, so I'm sticking with the V8 for now. Need to get acquainted first.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm surprised (and pleased) that it sounds like regular with some ethanol will work. Great to know. Additional thoughts from anyone are of course appreciated. WeBeCinYa - I appreciate the beauty of the diesel in these machines, but I've only had this truck for two days, so I'm sticking with the V8 for now. Need to get acquainted first.
I was 100% kidding. Poking fun at the diesel cult. Run premium and you will be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.