Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First and foremost, a great big thanks to Charles Galpin for sending me the spare mainshaft! :bow:
The shaft was cut and machined (muthalickin hard metal in some places) then pressed into a GM yoke I machined down and bored for a friction fit. The shaft was then tig welded (two passes) at a local shop as my Syncrowave 250 hasn't been set up yet. Here is the finished product that I built using the original Novak-Adapt 4L60E to Dana 300 adapter I designed years ago. The front spacer came out of the 6061 8"x5" chunk in the lathe. The rear plate was fabbed from 6061 12"x12"x1" flat stock. Everyone is jumping on the LSx wagon (with good reason) but I have a spare LT1 and 4L60E waiting for a project (I'm probably fitting it into my '84 110). I also included a couple of photos of my hybrid '88 LS1 project started several years ago but still waiting completion.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Cool. What do you plan to do to the brakes?

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. What do you plan to do to the brakes?
The LS1 88" coiler uses Currie 9" hi-pinion axles with Dana 44 front knuckles and brakes and Ford Explorer disc in the rear. The 110 will get vented 110 rotors/calipers and better pads all around. Stopping power isn't any more an issue with a bigger engine than a stock unit. Larger tires and heavier loads have the impact.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hydroboost ?
That's an option. I've considered it on the 88" even playing with a unit and bracket but it is on hold like so many projects. With retirement, I'm going get some stuff completed over the next year or so.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. Like Nick's gen III setup, the engine is pushed forward 4". There's enough room in a 90/110 for that move.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First and foremost, a great big thanks to Charles Galpin for sending me the spare mainshaft! 🙇
The shaft was cut and machined (muthalickin hard metal in some places) then pressed into a GM yoke I machined down and bored for a friction fit. The shaft was then tig welded (two passes) at a local shop as my Syncrowave 250 hasn't been set up yet. Here is the finished product that I built using the original Novak-Adapt 4L60E to Dana 300 adapter I designed years ago. The front spacer came out of the 6061 8"x5" chunk in the lathe. The rear plate was fabbed from 6061 12"x12"x1" flat stock. Everyone is jumping on the LSx wagon (with good reason) but I have a spare LT1 and 4L60E waiting for a project (I'm probably fitting it into my '84 110). I also included a couple of photos of my hybrid '88 LS1 project started several years ago but still waiting completion.
hi, is there a chance to get a 4l60e to lt230 adapter ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
First and foremost, a great big thanks to Charles Galpin for sending me the spare mainshaft! 🙇
Hi is it available ( 4l60e to lt230 adapter ) ??

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was a one off project that was completed but never installed in a vehicle. I have worked out a kit to fix a ZF to a late LS bellhousing. This allows for bolting a one piece rear seal Chevy engine to the ZF using the ZF torque converter. It could be modified to use the earlier, pre ‘96, engines with the two piece seal. The face of the bellhousing is located in the same place as the LR Discovery 1 V8 bellhousing. At the moment this kit is also stalled due to multiple major projects at the farm superseding it. Most of my conversions are one of a kind with no motive to mass produce. This latest kit may be the exception but it will be some time before I get one installed in my 110 to road test for reliability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This was a one off project that was completed but never installed in a vehicle. I have worked out a kit to fix a ZF to a late LS bellhousing. This allows for bolting a one piece rear seal Chevy engine to the ZF using the ZF torque converter. It could be modified to use the earlier, pre ‘96, engines with the two piece seal. The face of the bellhousing is located in the same place as the LR Discovery 1 V8 bellhousing. At the moment this kit is also stalled due to multiple major projects at the farm superseding it. Most of my conversions are one of a kind with no motive to mass produce. This latest kit may be the exception but it will be some time before I get one installed in my 110 to road test for reliability.
Thanks for your response..

I have a project to install a chevy tahoe 5.3 vortec engine with 4l60e into my Defender 110 ..1997 with a dead tdi engine..

I have started to remove the old defender engine and I will be finishing that soon.

The tahoe (donor car) will arrive soon to me.. so I would appreciate if I can purchase that un-used 4l60e to lt230 adapter in my project .. or atlease getting the dimension of the output shaft so I can get it done in a machine shop ..

Thanks for the response and support

·
Super Moderator
13,656 Posts
It makes more sense to use a 6L80e. The adapters are on the shelf and the gearbox fits better. The 4L60e has packaging issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It makes more sense to use a 6L80e. The adapters are on the shelf and the gearbox fits better. The 4L60e has packaging issues.

I agree with you that 6l80e adapter is available . But my donor car has an 4l60e transmission ..and I'm intending to take the existing engine and transmission from the tahoe to the defender directly... trying to source a new transmission and try to get it works with the engine I have now might be a bigger challenge for me.

I think if I get the chance to have the output shaft atlease.. it will be great as I can easily fabricate the case locally.

·
Premium Member
7,871 Posts
Thanks for your response..

I have a project to install a chevy tahoe 5.3 vortec engine with 4l60e into my Defender 110 ..1997 with a dead tdi engine..

I have started to remove the old defender engine and I will be finishing that soon.

The tahoe (donor car) will arrive soon to me.. so I would appreciate if I can purchase that un-used 4l60e to lt230 adapter in my project .. or atlease getting the dimension of the output shaft so I can get it done in a machine shop ..

Thanks for the response and support
Old post but appears they are still in business and could perhaps make another one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Old post but appears they are still in business and could perhaps make another one.

View attachment 465510
I have contacted them... very very slow in response,,.
They need me to send over my shafts to modify them.. which means they don't do a proper one..

* welding them together is not a good solution and I can do that locally without incurring double shipping cost + expensive cost for welding them !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts