Defender Source Forum banner

Exterior ECD Mods?

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Surf90 
#1 ·
My Defender D90 is in a steady state (right now, anyway) and I'm thinking about doing some minor exterior mods similar to the ECD D110 thats parked next to me.

I'm not trying for a faux-ECD but I like the look.

Specifically, Silver accents (Grill, Roll Bar, Wheel Arches, Rocker Panel) and adding driving lights on front bumper and removing the A-bar.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
In the first shot, can't be impressed with the bar on bumper in front of the grill, but the grill and headlight surrounds look much better than the one on the left as you view the picture.
In the rear shot, the light differences are more noticeable, but not by much.
I'll never understand why owners want to bling up a Defender when the appealing part is the original look.
The different front end has no added functionality and IMHO looks bad.
If you have extra money to put into a vehicle there are many other things to spend your money on.
How about a nice set of Melvill & Moon seat covers, AC, RedArc DC to DC charge controller with auxiliary battery bank and solar panels with a pure sign wave inverter. You get the idea.
Also the LED side and flasher lights are a must for safety reasons.

#4 ·
In my opinion, the silver looks like crap. no contrast at all. I like a tarted up defender as i own one. Its odd to me when colors are similar but they are different on a car, I would go black in the front if you need a contrast, always works.

#5 · (Edited)
I like that ghost grey/blue color but the composition looks like utter crap and I can’t understand how any builder with any design sense would come up with it. Even if it’s “what the customer asked for” you still have to put your name on it. It’s sad to me how these upstart “custom” shops are starting to be known as brands. “Arkonik,” “HHH,” and “ECD“ have nothing to do with Defender enthusiasm and only exist to profiteer off of a trend.

#18 ·
Good choice to leave it as is and after you remove the A-Bar you should give serious consideration to replacing that potential guillotine of a steel winch line with a synthetic one. I have seen lines break and I promise you, you do not want to be anywhere close to it's path. At least with a synthetic line you don't have to worry about it flying through your windshield or whiplashing your spotter... not to mention all the "fish hooks" those things get that will destroy your hands while spooling them back onto the roller (even with gloves).
Sorry for the PSA

#10 ·
I don’t think you embarrassed yourself, I like adding my own touches to my cars whoever did that silver is just absolutely out of their mind.

I was look at factory cars for color combinations before I do something to one of my collectible cars, some of the cars should never be modified because of the rarity, but a standard Defender I have no problem goofing around with.

Basic colors always work

I just can’t believe what is being sold out there and for what price, some of these trucks are $160,000 and they’re actually no good at all some yuppie will buy them And never be able to sell them.

#13 ·
My Defender D90 is in a steady state (right now, anyway) and I'm thinking about doing some minor exterior mods similar to the ECD D110 thats parked next to me.

Specifically, Silver accents (Grill, Roll Bar, Wheel Arches, Rocker Panel) and adding driving lights on front bumper and removing the A-bar.

Thoughts?

View attachment 463797 View attachment 463798
Hey there, I own a completely stock ‘97 NAS D90, I’ve owned the truck for quite sometime. I too like to make minor adjustments to my cars to personalize them, this one is different. Imagine Halle B with a bad makeup job, don’t mess with an original. That’s what makes them great.

#14 ·

Thoughts?

I have to agree with the others- seeing them side by side, I REALLY like the startk contrast of the black…and that’s to say that mine is silver…

Thoughts?

I actually agree with others.....looking at the two...I REALLY like the stark contrast of the Black. And that is considering that my grill is silver already. i think the contrast really is appropriate for the era. In fact, I am in the process of changing. my arches to black for that exact reason. After seeing your side by side....I might consider a darker gray for the grill.....or black!

#16 ·

Thoughts?

#20 ·

Thoughts?

meh yours looks way better - just sell it to me and buy you an ECD

seriously

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.