Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled the trigger on this lift and I'm trying to match tire/wheel size so that it looks good and isn't over/under sized.

Does anyone have experience with these lifts and sizing wheels/tires to it?

Any feedback (good/bad/otherwise) would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
at that height any thing around 34-35in tall will look great . will give you plenty of uptravel and fill it out well. anywhere from 10.50 /12.50 wide will look good as well.

i run just under 3in of lift and 35x10.50r16 super swampers. it has that classic euro narrow look that i like. moving to a wider tire wouldn't be an issue for me as i also run spacers.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
EDIT: would be helpful to know what engine you have as well , im assuming a 90?

you will 100% need a new double cardan front driveshaft as with that amount of lift it will vibe like crazy.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I have a 3" lift from RTE and Love it!! I run 255-85-16 on the 90. I could fit bigger tires but IMHO it looks good. I also like the old school look. You may want to consider getting 15" rims. The tire selection is much better and cheaper. You can get them in the UK and it's almost the same price as the 16's and good tires. As mentioned above you will want to add Double Cardan driveshafts front and rear. I like Tom Woods. You will also want to add an adjustable pan hard rod. Do not use poly bushings, use the factory ones. I have found that the 3" lift will eat them up. I was replacing them every 6 months. once I used the factory ones that stopped. I would also recommend castor corrected radius arms and RTE adjustable rear trailing arms. If you want I have an extra set of Bilstein 7100 for that lift. $450 for the set of 4 plus shipping. Here is my truck with the RTE 3"springs.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Trey's 90 is on RTE 3 inch springs and rte front radius arms, and lower shock mounts.
He has 12.5 35 15's under the truck as Scott suggested above -same outside dims as 315/75/16 but 15inch wheels.
What engine you have dictates what other mods you may need to make to turn 35 inch tires.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I use the RTE 3" springs and really like them. Im currently using 14" short body revalved 7100 bilsteins. Great shocks but change the heim joint mounts to bushings. The rear spring mount are a combination of upper extended rockware hoops that they made up for me and safarigard stage 3 exteded travel systems. The fronts are copies of the original safari guard stage 3 jek shock mounts with lowered bottom mounts and a SG 3link.
I am running 35X12.5r17 tires (KM2s) with extended fender flares. They tuck right up nicely.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on this lift and I'm trying to match tire/wheel size so that it looks good and isn't over/under sized.

Does anyone have experience with these lifts and sizing wheels/tires to it?

Any feedback (good/bad/otherwise) would be much appreciated.
Did you get the radius arms, trailing arms?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EDIT: would be helpful to know what engine you have as well , im assuming a 90?

you will 100% need a new double cardan front driveshaft as with that amount of lift it will vibe like crazy.
Yes - it’s a 300 tdi 90. The kit comes with new front/rear driveshafts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 3" lift from RTE and Love it!! I run 255-85-16 on the 90. I could fit bigger tires but IMHO it looks good. I also like the old school look. You may want to consider getting 15" rims. The tire selection is much better and cheaper. You can get them in the UK and it's almost the same price as the 16's and good tires. As mentioned above you will want to add Double Cardan driveshafts front and rear. I like Tom Woods. You will also want to add an adjustable pan hard rod. Do not use poly bushings, use the factory ones. I have found that the 3" lift will eat them up. I was replacing them every 6 months. once I used the factory ones that stopped. I would also recommend castor corrected radius arms and RTE adjustable rear trailing arms. If you want I have an extra set of Bilstein 7100 for that lift. $450 for the set of 4 plus shipping. Here is my truck with the RTE 3"springs. View attachment 449869
@roverx - good looking truck. Thanks for the bushings suggestion - I believe the kit comes with poly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use the RTE 3" springs and really like them. Im currently using 14" short body revalved 7100 bilsteins. Great shocks but change the heim joint mounts to bushings. The rear spring mount are a combination of upper extended rockware hoops that they made up for me and safarigard stage 3 exteded travel systems. The fronts are copies of the original safari guard stage 3 jek shock mounts with lowered bottom mounts and a SG 3link.
I am running 35X12.5r17 tires (KM2s) with extended fender flares. They tuck right up nicely.

View attachment 449873
@Arcadeus - that truck looks great. I opted for the Rock Krawler shocks since Bilsteins are taking an ungodly amount of time to come in due to Covid delays. I love the looks of the KM2s - all I can find these days are KM3s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you get the radius arms, trailing arms?
@rlynch - the kit includes:
Cool springs
Front caster corrected arms
HEIM joint
Adjustable pan hard bar
A arm extension
Brake lines
Front/rear spring retainers
Gen 2 front upper shock towers
Shock mounts
Extended bump stops
Dislocation cones