Defender Source Forum banner

Exhaust temp gauge

Tags
exhaust
1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Uncle Douglas 
#1 ·
My landy came with an Exhaust Temp gauge. Trying to understand the point of this. I had a TD5 in Europe and never had a gauge like this in it

#4 ·
From what I've seen if your IP tune is still at the factory setting (still has the tamper proof seal) you'll never get to 1,250. Adjusting the "smoke screw" doesn't count.

#7 ·
1330 F is the official maximum continuous EGT (measured before the turbo). The number comes from Garret. There is no real way to tell you safe time and temperature above this. This is why I prefer an audible alarm when it goes above 1330 and you automatically back off right away and stay safe. Driving around watching a gauge all of the time is not the safest practice.

#8 ·
I didn’t realize it was that high, I’ve been backing off and trying to keep it under 1100 which does increase my commute time a bit. So operating at 1250 for 20 minutes is theoretically okay and doesn’t damage or significantly increase wear on the engine? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.