Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My exhaust is rusted, CATs, mufflers and different spots on the pipes all have holes so it is time to replace everything.

There's no emissions inspections where I am since I'm running historic tags so I'm thinking CAT delete as well. My engine is the 3.9L and I'm wondering if it is even worth it to run dual exhaust or just run the original single factory exhaust again.

Has anyone switched to duals on a factory all original engine?

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Even though you may not have emissions inspection where you live, keep in mind, removing any emissions related items is still a violation of federal laws. Not to mention choking out people behind you in traffic and devaluing you’re vehicle. If you’re single exhaust pipe is of sufficient diameter, switching to dual exhaust won’t necessarily improve performance, just add expense.

·
Registered
721 Posts
A couple other considerations:
-The first NAS (3.9L) I bought had the CATs deleted and the exhaust smelled terrible. I’ve spoken to others who experienced the same, and we unofficially attributed the smell to the CATs being deleted. Granted, mine was soft top 90, and therefore the exhaust fumes ended up in the cockpit more than they will with your 110.

-If you ever decide to sell the truck the seller may live in a place with emissions inspections and therefore need CATs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Even just deleting the cat will make it breath a bit better. Not really necessary for the dual exhaust or the additional pain and expense it come with....custom exhaust is expensive these days! I say delete the cat but go back stock otherwise. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
Reactions: blaster11

·
Premium Member
13,925 Posts
Best sounding rover V8 in a 110 I've heard was a running a Crower cam, Magnaflow Y pipe (free flow cats) , and an NRP cat back exhaust.

For Y pipe-NRP and Magnaflow are pretty much the same cost, I'd opt for the Magnaflow if you like v8 rumble.
We have fitted a bunch of the NRP exhausts on customer builds and have them on both of our trail 90's. Great product.

·
Premium Member
13,925 Posts
FWIW your existing cats are worth around $600 right now for the precious metals inside. The new NRP or Magnaflow Y pipes are around $800.
I was just quoted $645 this afternoon and a prepaid label for shot but original D1 cats.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FWIW your existing cats are worth around $600 right now for the precious metals inside. The new NRP or Magnaflow Y pipes are around $800.
I was just quoted $645 this afternoon and a prepaid label for shot but original D1 cats.
Great! Never thought of that although the thieves are stealing them all the time

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Best sounding rover V8 in a 110 I've heard was a running a Crower cam, Magnaflow Y pipe (free flow cats) , and an NRP cat back exhaust.

For Y pipe-NRP and Magnaflow are pretty much the same cost, I'd opt for the Magnaflow if you like v8 rumble.
We have fitted a bunch of the NRP exhausts on customer builds and have them on both of our trail 90's. Great product.
I personally love a rumble in a V8, that's why I was wondering about duals but probably not worth it for the 3.9 from the chiming in on this thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts