Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this problem after starting up a defender thats been sitting for a few months, 19j 2.5 td engine. Last time it ran it was fine. Very little smoke from exhaust on cold start which clears up so nothing abnormal there. Oil looks fine and coolant is full and clean but there is a lot of smoke from the oil filler cap. Is this a head gasket or piston rings? I would think a head gasket would mean more smoke from the exhaust and some coolant loss.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. 19j is garbage, I'll change the oil with 80% lucas at this point before scrapping the engine.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
yep not good a oil change isn't fixing that unless it way overfilled but you would be risking a run away

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why would an oil change with lucas increase chances of a run away? its not overfilled right now, level is correct.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
Thinned oil will pass between the cylinder wall and the piston easier than at its regular viscosity. Either way PLEASE video the event. Diesel runaway videos rock as long as nobody gets hurt!

·
Premium Member
13,793 Posts
Rings stuck in piston grooves. Unfortunately as said most of what would usuually work to free them will likely result in a runaway. I also vote for let it go and film it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts