Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an EPIRB or life raft kicking around they would want to sell? Bought a boat and it's missing a few things. Thx

·
Premium Member
13,798 Posts
buy new

I have a 406 epirb but don't want to let it go. This is stuff you don't want to skimp on. You know this but both mean the boat is gone and you are in the water.

I have been on many boats fishing offshore and seen sun baked covers on life rafts that were 15 years old and asked the capt wtf. The response was usually a sheepish grin and "lets hope we don't need it". Also seen auto deploy epirbs that were clearly going to snag on rigging and obviously going to go down with the boat and do no one any good. People hard mount crap and then change something else about the boat and give the epirbs deployment no further thought. I have a floating ditch bag I keep mine in with most of the stuff inside you want if you have to go in, hand held vhf,flares, mirror, whistle, strobe, etc.

Sorry I get fired up about offshore safety, death is usually preventable...rant over.

·
Premium Member
13,798 Posts
there was an ad in the last Boats and Harbors for an acr 406 for $500. Didn't know they had gotten that cheap but glad they have.

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
The GPS store has them sub $ 400.00

I had a 406 in the boat as well as a lower model I used when snowmobiling in Canada.

As stated, the best piece of mind to have

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats with the purchase. Sail, sport fisher, other?
50' sail which is in San Fran. Soooo a buddy who's a big time vet of 100+ foot Yachts is going to sail her back to Maine from around Oct to May. A leisurely trip and crossing off a bucket list item for both of us, the Panama Canal. I'll join him as leave allows probably in Dec and march for a week. The boat is really ready to go, but there are a few punch list items I need like the EPIRB and life raft and two survival suits.

I'm crazy mr safety too. Actually carry a ACR GPS PLB with me pretty much all the time and I can put that on the boat but It wouldn't replace a dedicated EPIRB.

So what type of life raft would I want? He's a pic of her racing last year in San Fran bay. To say I'm super stoked is an understatement!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I get fired up about offshore safety, death is usually preventable...rant over.
Btw I wish everyone got fired up over this stuff. We'd probably all have friends or people we used to see at the docks still kicking around...

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Isn't that a US Navy 44 MKII? How'd you get your hands on one of those?

I highly recommend LRSE in Tiverton RI for survival equipment.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Isn't that a US Navy 44 MKII? How'd you get your hands on one of those?

I highly recommend LRSE in Tiverton RI for survival equipment.

Good eye. US Navy's link to the boat in question: http://www.usna.edu/Sailing/documents/lectures/navy44/info/44aerial.JPG

Here are a few sold by the GSA:
2009 - GSA Auctions, General Services Administration, Government Site for Auctions
2013 - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/navy-44-sailboats-for-sale-114491.html
Inside "job" before being auctioned off: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/49230-navy-44-stolen.html

·
Premium Member
7,459 Posts
Josh the liferaft you want is going to depend on how many people you plan onboard and your proximity to land. We have 2 X Avon Ocean 6 man life rafts on our boat. not to mention twin epirbs, I insist on a lot of redundancy for safety gear.. Cant put a price on your families safety

and one of these which is pretty cool so people can follow your progress offshore, send updates etc.

DeLorme inReach - Two-way satellite text messaging, tracking and SOS anywhere in the world

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't that a US Navy 44 MKII? How'd you get your hands on one of those? I highly recommend LRSE in Tiverton RI for survival equipment.
Matt do you have a contact at LRSE? I'll be in Newport next week at nwc.

Four MKI's went up for sale last year as well as two mkii's. All had major system issues. It's unfortunate no more money is being put in to the sail training program. It's living almost exclusively off of donations and volunteer sail coaches these days. I suspect in the next ten years all the Yawls kicking around the academy plus the 44s will find new homes. Great basic boats that are fairly bombproof.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts