Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.6l engine that was rebuilt and sat stored for 4 years. Installed but now seized. Rings to cylinder walls no doubt as it was rotating by hand before install. Any recommendations for breaking it free? Mystery Oil soaked then ATF plus acetone have 5 out of 6 pistons draining. Still can't rotate by hand from front. Disconnected belts, plugs removed. Starter is installed so I have not attempted to remove the starter and pry the gears to move. Dueto location of the starter-I would have to remove oil filter to get it out so don't prefer that.

Recommendations for getting it to break free appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
If installed in vehicle, roll it forward and pop the clutch in 4th

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill,

Thanks for the recommendation. I have tried putting it in gear and rocking back and forth but no luck so I guess the rolling and popping into 4th is next. Any chance of damaging drive train on that method? I assume it is at low rolling speed? Otherwise it has been recommended to pull the heads, remove pistons, rehone the bores etc. I would hate to have to pull everything apart again in the engine compartment. By the way, I was able to pull the starter forward out of the bell housing and confirm that the starter rotates but could not get any leverage to try and move the flywheel gear teeth.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
no you won't damage anything, but be prepared if it breaks loose! You'd be surprised at how little rust it takes to lock up an engine

Reactions: don

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill,

Will it work using reverse gear? My Rover is nose into my garage and a slight grade going out so gravity would be available just getting out of the garage. Otherwise From there it is a tow strap to get it moving forward to pop it in 4th gear.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I actually freed up a stuck engine once by rolling the vehicle backwards down a slope by my shop. I let out the clutch in forth gear (instead of reverse) just to stop the roll and to my surprise the engine freed up. Totally by accident but was very happy when it worked as we had been pulling it forward without success.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2.6l engine that was rebuilt and sat stored for 4 years. Installed but now seized. Rings to cylinder walls no doubt as it was rotating by hand before install. Any recommendations for breaking it free? Mystery Oil soaked then ATF plus acetone have 5 out of 6 pistons draining. Still can't rotate by hand from front. Disconnected belts, plugs removed. Starter is installed so I have not attempted to remove the starter and pry the gears to move. Dueto location of the starter-I would have to remove oil filter to get it out so don't prefer that.

Recommendations for getting it to break free appreciated.
The engine is FREE!!! 4th gear and half block from the house and voila!!

Thanks for all the help. Turns right over with starter as well. Plugs next and then fuel to start it. That new fuel pump not getting a good ground so tomorrow should be an even better day once I get it running. Or tomorrow's tomorrow ... used to that at this stage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The engine is FREE!!! 4th gear and half block from the house and voila!!

Thanks for all the help. Turns right over with starter as well. Plugs next and then fuel to start it. That new fuel pump not getting a good ground so tomorrow should be an even better day once I get it running. Or tomorrow's tomorrow ... used to that at this stage.

Alas my free motor was short lived. Still will not turn by hand. It will rotate in 4th gear being towed. The starter motor even turned it after first breaking it free-but I did not have plugs in at the time to run it and now not turning again. New gear reduction starter and all wiring confirmed to be getting power when the key turns. Any ideas?? I am awaiting an appointment at North Texas British but they are booked at least another couple weeks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
pull the valve cover and make sure the valves are moving.could be that one of them stuck and is hitting the piston. i know when my chevy motor had the problem. just lightly tapping them with a soft mallet helped free them up

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am a novice mechanic. Valve cover off. Nothing moving. What am I looking for in movement on the tappets/ valves? Slight tapping with soft mallet and still no apparent movement.

pull the valve cover and make sure the valves are moving.could be that one of them stuck and is hitting the piston. i know when my chevy motor had the problem. just lightly tapping them with a soft mallet helped free them up

·
Registered
524 Posts
What should happen is the valves open and close as the engine turns over. If one sticks down, then they are sticky.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Angus,

Thanks for the input. I understand the theory of how they should money as the engine and can rotate. However, Engine does not turn at all by hand or with starter.

What should happen is the valves open and close as the engine turns over. If one sticks down, then they are sticky.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Didn't you get it turning earlier? Put some oil in the cylinders and pull it without the plugs. It will free up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Oil is at top line of the stick and amount put in matches capacity listed in specs. Does not smell of gas. Engine has not been run since rebuild. I assumed it was stuck originally after rebuild as it had not been to the stage of running it for over 3 years. That and moving g from desert of New Mexico to humidity of Texas and plug's not in inky tape over ports. Successfully got it to break free 2 seperate times and rotate while towing it and popping into 4th gear. Still will not turn by hand or with starter now though it did turn with starter after first time towing and breaking it free.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Angus,
I have done that twice successfully including oil down cylinders but still wont turn by hand or with starter without plugs installed. Just want to be sure I'm not missing something else or continuing to repeat those steps will not damage anything.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Does it show oil pressure when towing it? Turn the key on while towing to check. Was there fresh oil in the valve area after towing? There is obviously something still causing the engine to be hard to turn over. So valves, bearings, or even trans (input shaft still turns in neutral).

I have done the same process on an old Mercedes 190. Stored without plugs, so seized. Soaked the cylinders, towed to break free, it skid the tires the first few attempts. Then replaced the plugs and started it. Once the smoke cleared (about 20 miles), it ran great. It was not a new engine like yours, so you have some additional variables with a stored new engine.

Proceed carefully ("pilot's discretion" as we say in in business), but if it has oil pressure, try towing it to start it. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts