Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my car (D110 NAS, Rover V8) it seems that the engine gets up around 2k-2200 RPM's and stays there. Even when warm, it doesn't slow down - and it seems to be going quite fast.

The RPM's drop when I put the car in gear (D/R), but pop back up again when the car goes back into N/P . I will say that I recently replaced both fuel pump relays (to fix a won't start issue); but had taken the top air plenum off as I headed down the wrong track in trying to resolve the issue. AFAICT all the hose and plugs on the engine are in the right place (and the fuel pump now works again, due to the relay replacement.)

Any ideas on where to look to resolve this? Is it possible that the relays being removed while trying to turn the key could have caused an issue? The battery was dead for a bit as well...

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
I am taking this is an efi engine? Is the idle control air valve working/clean?

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
yes its a NAS 110 that he had stripped the intake plenum off of thinking he had injector problems but it was just the relay. So afm,icv, tps and cable have all been disturbed.
the guy with no fuel to the engine so he stripped it? yes I remember him.

·
Premium Member
10,565 Posts
fast idle all the time?
Had an occasional fast idle almost like a stuck throttle once. Traced to a rusty throttle cable getting hung up inside its protective sheath.
look at the simple things first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the throttle cable adjustment is right, try cleaning IACV (stepper motor).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
If things are connected right, my $$ on vacuum leak. Also make sure the small vacuum hose is connected to fuel regulator on the back of the plenum. Super easy to miss that one.

plenty of tips to find vacuum leak, but most spray water or starting fluid around engine on seams to listen for idle change.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the guy with no fuel to the engine so he stripped it? yes I remember him.
lol. I'm right here. Trying to avoid the same mistake by asking for advice before diving in headfirst (though I learn a lot from making mistakes.)

That being said - the throttle is fully closed when the engine starts up ~ 2,100 RPM. I'm not sure what the fast idle engine speed should be? When I hit the gas after a couple of minutes it does drop a bit - but that seems inconsistent.

I do know that the hose-to-plenum "T" piece (ERR4763) was broken, and I replaced it with a new hose piece. Not sure if that would change things - it was running fine before I took the plenum piece off; but obv I did muck with all those hoses. The one in the rear is attached (the small one) - I'll re-check it to be sure though.

thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I'm not sure if the throttle return mechanism is the same on the 110 as it is on the 1994 NAS 90 that I have but one of my two throttle return springs broke and that caused the throttle to not be able to return to idle all the way (one spring wasn't strong enough to pull it all the way back to closed). You might add that to your list of items to check. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Idle control valve is plugged in?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts