Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for suggestions for Engine alternatives for RHD 1988 LR90 turbo Diesel - the one I picked up recently needs to be rebuilt, but since it is only a 4 cyl don't really feel the cost is worth it to rebuild a 4 cyl versus finding a donor alternative.

As it is a RHD, and I'd prefer to find any Land Rover drop in alternative that could mate ok with the trans/transfer case etc, looking for both specific vehicles to search for as donors, as well as ANY available options anyone may know of (preferably close to Dallas area the better for cost on transportation).

appreciate any assistance - [email protected], 469 408-2794

thanks, mike

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
A 200TDi or a 4 cylinder LR gas engine will drop right in. Since you have a RHD a Discovery 200TDi will fit without any alterations too.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
^^^^What Dave said^^^^

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A 200TDi or a 4 cylinder LR gas engine will drop right in. Since you have a RHD a Discovery 200TDi will fit without any alterations too.

thanks for this... I think a 300TDI would provide more power for what I would like to get out of this in the end, just not sure availability and cost etc... ideally a small V8 would be preferred if that would mate ok.

mike

·
Premium Member
7,155 Posts
200 vs 300 same horsepower. Just cz it has a bigger number in the name doesn't mean it is a "better" engine.
You can get a V8 in there. Lotsa people have. You'll need a bigger radiator, change the exhaust, and figure out the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
200 vs 300 same horsepower. Just cz it has a bigger number in the name doesn't mean it is a "better" engine.
You can get a V8 in there. Lotsa people have. You'll need a bigger radiator, change the exhaust, and figure out the fuel system.
Thanks Bill,
In terms of V8 alternatives (land rover), and recommendations on easiest donor vehicles to try and source this without breaking the bank ? Like an older Disco ?>

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Mine had a 3.5 Twin carb V8 when I got iy. Put a 3.9 Efi & auto trans in from a Discovery 1.

Much better!

·
Super Moderator
12,999 Posts
You said drop in with no changes to gearbox.... The 200TDI is the only Rover option. You can also do the Mercedes engine with Mr. Davis adapter kit.

300 TDI, V8, etc.. all require modifications in order to install.

·
Super Moderator
12,999 Posts
And new engine mounts and different gearbox.

The Rover V8 is not much of an upgrade. Crappy power, poor reliability, horrid mileage. If going to all that trouble put in a real engine...

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I might add (Thanks John) that I think you can mate the 3.9 V8i to the LT77 transmission that mine had originally. I also upgraded to the 1.2 transfer case, for higher gearing.

Just don't be tempted by the 4.6. I had two, both failed.

FWIW, ECR did a Ford 5.0 conversion, but it only fits into a RHD rig. If I were to do it all over again, I'd go that route.

Reactions: mrdoiron

·
Super Moderator
12,999 Posts
The diesel and V8 LT77 are different. You need change the input shaft and bellhpusing requiring a complete rebuild. The V8s also used the later version that is stronger with better gearing.

Reactions: mrdoiron

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might add (Thanks John) that I think you can mate the 3.9 V8i to the LT77 transmission that mine had originally. I also upgraded to the 1.2 transfer case, for higher gearing.

Just don't be tempted by the 4.6. I had two, both failed.

FWIW, ECR did a Ford 5.0 conversion, but it only fits into a RHD rig. If I were to do it all over again, I'd go that route.
Thanks again - I'd love to do a Ford 5.0 dependent on availability - and if not outrageous in price compared to say a TD5.

On the Ford option, is there any reference on that conversion anywhere ? And you mention only an option on a RHD ? The LR90 I have is a RHD, but why would the Ford only work with a RHD ?

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Mike:

I think it has something to do with the steering. I heard it won't fit a LHD rig. I'd get hold of ECR & see what they know- that's where I heard it. The Ford 5.0 has to be easy to find- and I think it's a good engine.

Good luck!

Paul.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the LS conversion option.

hopefully cheaper and not much more work than a TD5 - looking into that now thanks.
Any links to someone who ventured this path with a RHD LR90 would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
It's quite a lengthy thread. It is much easier to point someone in the right direction than to start a new thread covering the subject.

Good luck with your conversion. They are fun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts