Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Revotec electric fan in my '91 ROW D90. I've had it on the highway for about 30 min and around town for an hour or so and it seems to do a fine job keeping the temp in check - however the ambient temp hasn't been that hot here in Denver.

I wired it to my aux fuse panel which is powered through a relay to be on only when the ignition is on. Several times I've noticed that the fan is "on" when I turn the car off, thus the fan shuts off immediately.

Should the fan be wired through Purple (fused, always hot) or similar connection? This would let the fan stay on (and cooling) even if the ignition was off but could, I suppose, run down the battery if it ran too long.

Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
13,023 Posts
No. There is no point as the coolant is not circulating.

·
Premium Member
10,296 Posts
An electric fan should be wired through a relay that gets energized with a thermal switch (-) and the ignition sw (+) that is powered by the battery (+).
30 (+) Brown from starter solenoid battery cable
87 (+) to 12V fan
85 (-) from thermal SW
86 (+) White (+) from IG SW

Reactions: LostChord

·
Premium Member
10,296 Posts
DO NOT wire the fan to run at all times.
If you ever go wading through water the fan blade will be destroyed.
In that case run an on off switch between the IGSW and 86 or the thermal switch and 85 to interrupt at a water crossing to be sure the 12V fan doesn't engage.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
on the revo unit its all prewired as stated above. to add a wading switch they sell an override switch that also works for AC i tink. or just make one

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Should be fine as is.

Probably won't have the fan running when off roading so I wouldn't be worried about wading. If you are, pull the fuse real quick and reinstall on the other side.

Glad to hear the Revotec unit works well. I'm thinking of going electric. I like that Revotec has nice brackets that come with it. I'm wondering if the "zip tie-looking-thing-through-the-radiator" is actually a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
13,023 Posts
Off road is when the fans run the most, IME.

Reactions: rdavisinva

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shouldn't have posted and then hit the road for a few days...

I also should have been more clear in the first post:

The fan is controlled through a relay and a thermostatic switch in a radiator line (provided with the Revotec fan). What I meant to say is that the fan's relay is powered from a fuse panel which isn't energized until the ignition is on.

I don't have a bypass switch, but I'll install one before doing any wading.

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
I would suggest a bypass switch, or another easy way to disable the fans if ever needed.
Could be as simple as pulling the trigger wire on the relay. Just know how to do it just in case.

·
Premium Member
10,296 Posts
Well you should mean what you type and I should understand what you didn't say.
So if the fan's relay is powered from a fuse panel which isn't energized until the ignition is on, that is fine.
Key on and if the thermal switch trips the relay to switch on the 12V cooling fan it runs.
Key off and the 12V cooling fan can't run.
All is good, except for the 12V fan blades being destroyed when it is immersed in water during a stream crossing.
You then need a switch or will be required to unplug the 12V fan.
Then on the other side remember to plug it back in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts