Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a place that does E-Coating (electrodeposition coating) in the Pacific Northwest? Scoured the internet looking and haven't had any luck... any recommendations appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know manufacturers use this process, but have heard of people using this on car restorations - unfortunately I can only find places back east that are doing it. I Have a 107 restoration in the works and thought it would be an awesome way to paint the frame inside and out - I considered galvanizing, but decided I didn't want to go that route. Open to suggestions

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was trying to avoid having to put a drain holes in the frame and I worry about the off chance of it warping (probably just paranoid) - the 107 frame does not have many holes in it and I am trying to keep it as original as possible... I may just paint the exterior and Waxoyl the inside. Just seemed like e-coating would be a good way to get the interior of the frame coated.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Don't know if you've spoken to a galvanizer yet, but they should be able to provide accurate advice on the possible need for additional holes. Doubt a chassis would warp though. Typically only happens to thin panels and unsupported geometry. A corrosion inhibitor is a good idea, but I'd go for something that doesn't harden. I'm personally sold on CorrosionX products.

Another option is powder coating. If the coating shop media blasts the entire chassis properly and applies a high quality coating it can be a durable turn-key option.

My preferred option, regardless of galvanizing or not, is to have a chassis media blasted with garnet or galvanizing etched, properly cleaned, epoxy primed, and then top coated in semi-gloss polyurethane for UV protection. It's a laborious and expensive path though.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
My Dad used to work at a large German manuf firm in Portland (rhymes with maimler). And he managed their Ecoat line.
He said he hasn't worked with these companies but you may try Proto Manuf in Spokane (509)535-6683, and possibly Pacific States Galvanizing in Tualatin, Oregon (503) 692-8888, who has other locations with possible Ecoat lines (?).

He agrees an Ecoat of the frame is ideal (rather than galv, or powder coating), but their aren't many independent paint companies who provide it, due to economy of scale.

If you decide (and find) an Ecoater - he suggested cathodic painting with either an epoxy or acrylic (not anodic). He also said 90% of the paint market for Ecoat is PPG.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
When I restored my 107SW I painted it with several layers of Por15 after taking it down to the bare metal. It did the trick and help up really well. And, in terms of aesthetics, it was spot on. Some holes here and there could accommodate the galvanizing and hardly be seen. You can always pop in plugs, then paint it to match your desired look or the original black. Just a couple thougths.

Matthew Clark
Seattle, WA
(Still kicking myself that I sold my 107)

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ Streaky - Thanks for the great info!! I will definitely check those companies and follow your Dad's advice on cathodic painting with epoxy - good to hear from an expert that the e-coat would be a good idea if I can find a place to have it done.

@ Mathew - Was your 107SW the grey one that sold about 12 years ago? If so I think I remember the truck and can only imagine how much you miss it! My initial plan was very similar to what you did - get the frame blasted and then paint with epoxy / Por15 - just got kind of excited about e-coating when I read about it and thought it would be a great way to treat the inside of the frame as well. Odds are that e-coating may not be viable, then I'll be asking if anyone knows a good place to have the frame blasted and epoxy primered in the Tacoma area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts